Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2024, 03:08 AM   #46
quentincompson
quentincompson began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not all ebooks have hyphenation specified in the css, in which case I guess there's some default hyphenation setting the Kobo will use.

The way I do it is as follows:
First, I convert an epub to epub to bulk remove all existing hyphenation rules, if any (I usually do this with several ebooks at once). In the conversion settings (Look & Feel - Styling - Other css properties) I add
-epub-hyphens, -webkit-hyphens, -moz-hyphens, adobe-hyphenate, hyphens

After that, I use the Modify Epub plugin (Append Extra css) to bulk insert the following code in all those converted epubs:
Code:
body {
-epub-hyphens: none;
adobe-hyphenate: none;
-webkit-hyphens: none;
-moz-hyphens: none;
hyphens: none;
}
Thank you for the instructions!
quentincompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 04:20 AM   #47
quentincompson

Quote:

After that, I use the Modify Epub plugin (Append Extra css) to bulk insert the following code in all those converted epubs:
Code:
body {
-epub-hyphens: none;
adobe-hyphenate: none;
-webkit-hyphens: none;
-moz-hyphens: none;
hyphens: none;
}
Could you tell where do you paste that code? I can't figure it out - I've downloaded the plugin, but when i select "Append extra css" and click "ok" an error appears - "modify epub changed no files", and in the details it says "Parsing xml file: content.opf
Parsing xml file: toc.ncx
Looking for extra CSS to append".
Old 06-22-2024, 05:07 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Not sure, because Kindles don't hyphenate azw3 files anyway; so I've never tried it.
I do use the Hyphenate This! plugin to add soft-hyphens to KF8 eBooks. Kindles are the only Readers I know of that handle soft-hyphens well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:20 AM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentincompson View Post
Could you tell where do you paste that code? I can't figure it out - I've downloaded the plugin, but when i select "Append extra css" and click "ok" an error appears - "modify epub changed no files", and in the details it says "Parsing xml file: content.opf
Parsing xml file: toc.ncx
Looking for extra CSS to append".
Preferences - Common options - Look & Feel - Styling - Extra css
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 08:22 AM   #50
quentincompson

Quote:
Gracias!
Old 06-22-2024, 08:40 AM   #51
quentincompson

Quote:
It worked like a charm - God bless you!
Old 06-22-2024, 02:20 PM   #52
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It is a Kindle Keyboard, but it doesn't make the azw3f and azw3r files like the Kindle 8. I have no idea what the files (attached) mean, however.
The apnx file has page number information, the han file has highlight and notation information. It might be a predecessor to azw3[fr] or tied specifically to that flavor of mobi or the particular firmware version you are running. What files are in the .sdr for an azw3 book on that kindle?

Was the mobi file in the sdr directory? If not, it is the book itself. Its format depends on what generated it. My guess is that it is what is known as a dual mobi.

Each kindle format has its own flavor of files for highlights and notations, but all are KRDS (kindle reader data store). Fore information regarding KRDS, see the thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322172

The python script in that thread will dump the highlights, notes, and other information in KRDS files.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote