Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-28-2024, 05:03 PM   #1
m0lrak
m0lrak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Calibre Editor freezes on load after crash

I have a bug I have found (and maybe an interim workaround), but hoping I can get some help.

I was using the epub editor in the most recent version of Calibre (7.13.0, 64-bit), and I tried to run the report on the file. This is a small file I was creating based off some web pages, creating the file manually. At some point after trying to invoke the report, Windows came up with "calibre-parallel.exe not responding". Close the window. Now, any invocation of the editor freezes before it finishes loading a file. Force close. I tried opening other files, same issue- the editor freezes. Tried doing a repair install of calibre via the windows add/remove programs. Same issue. When I check task manager, edit book is running some CPU power at seeming random, but the memory usage is consistent. Some files seem to load into the windows local folder for calibre on my user account, but the UI seems to hang.

I have tried disabling plugins in startup in Calibre, I have tried running debug on restart of Calibre, but it doesn't seem to list info for the editor. Restart Windows, problem persists. I have yet to do a complete uninstall and reinstall, and I have yet to go through the config files (in roaming or local). Windows 11, a desktop with decent specs, multiple monitors, all updates current, etc.

I found a post somewhere (reddit I think) that suggested the issue was with multiple monitors causing the parallel app to work (this was for the reader, not the editor, but I noticed both use the calibre-parallel.exe process). The editor was trying to open in monitor 2, and my primary screen is monitor 1. Moving the app over, closing and reopening didn't fix this. Unplugging the monitor, to make windows go back to a single display, then loading calibre, then opening the editor, did work! So there is some issue with the editor opening on a secondary screen. The workaround, for now, is to either turn off or unplug your monitor, load up calibre, and then launch the editor (or reader).

Any help, guidance, (fixes?), etc. would be appreciated!
m0lrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 06:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I run 3 Monitors. 2 are on using the mainboard's graphics (1920x1080), the 3rd is an old VGA on a USB graphics adapter, in portrait with the Preview on it
No problems where the Editor Parent opens (was 1, put it on 2 and relaunched the session).

Try updating your Graphics drivers (depending on your HW, it may be more than 1.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 08:08 PM   #3
m0lrak

Thanks for the advice, but everything is up to date as of today, including drivers.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:43 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Check Windows Security: Protection History to see if ther is an entry near the time of trouble.

You can expand the entry, and that may allow you to do an exception to the bloking
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #5
m0lrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Check Windows Security: Protection History to see if ther is an entry near the time of trouble.

You can expand the entry, and that may allow you to do an exception to the bloking
I don't have that feature enabled.
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This will be some incompatibility between Qt WebEngine and your GPU drivers. You can try turning off hardware acceleration for webengine as described here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtwebengine-debugging.htmlvia the environmnet variable, that might help.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote