Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Today, 12:43 AM   #1
Cwluc
Cwluc began at the beginning.

Device: Various
Adding 50,000 Books to Calibre—Should I Break Them Up?

I recently found an archive of about 50,000 books. Individually, nothing is so large that it gives me immediate pause, and I know Calibre can technically handle the files one by one. But before I add all 50,000 to my already large library of about 48,000 books, has anyone ever added that many at once?

I’m about to double the entire size of my Calibre library. Can I just set it and forget it, or should I break them up into smaller chunks of, say, 5,000? Ideally, I’m hoping to do this in one go, but I figured I’d ask before jumping in and then regretting it if something goes wrong.

I’d rather be proactive than come back here later asking how to fix or repair my library after the fact. Any advice?
Cwluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:50 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are on Linux make sure /tmp has enough space. Otherwise, you should be fine, though for safety I would recommend breaking them up into 10 batches of 5K each.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #3
Cwluc
Cwluc began at the beginning.

Yeah, my apologies—I read the other post from the person on *nix and realized I should have given my specs, but I was heading to bed, and my sleep-deprived brain failed me. I’m on Windows 11, with decent specs, so I don’t foresee running out of space or memory. But since you’re the creator, I’ll heed your advice and break them up. Thanks for the reply!
Cwluc is offline   Reply With Quote