Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #16
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalinovsky View Post
Pocketbook doesn't have enough presence in the USA, for example, if a device breaks, its warranty support EU countries only, and you're out of luck. Also, you can't easily upgrade a Pocketbook device in the USA (like you can with Kindle) — in EU they at least give you a discount for a new device in exchange for the old one.
I did not know that about the warranty inside the USA! I assumed if one bought a new device and it had issues, one might have to ship it to Europe for any kind of warranty exchange/repair.

Well, glad I found mine used and half-price, though it has not had any issues, nor do I expect it to.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #17
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
When switching to a new brand, I like to phsically see/touch/play with it before buying. I haven't seen any PocketBooks in U.S. B&Ms.
Unlikely to see Pocketbook at a store in the USA, that's for sure. Same for Kobo. All my Kobo devices were ordered online.

My first Sony was from a B&M store, but that was really back in the day. And somewhat of a rarity in my area anyway. You could find Kindle at Best Buy and Nook at the BN store, but both are 90 miles away.

Hubby had gone to the Best Buy for fun before picking me up at the airport, and he spotted the Sony, knowing I was interested. Naturally, we went straight to the Best Buy after he collected me, and grabbed that 950 before the trek home! Sheer luck. The only one they had too.

Other than that Best Buy, I can't say I've ever seen a Kindle in a store. We are just too much in the boonies. I did see a demo Kobo briefly, but Walmart took their Kobo display down pretty promptly. I doubt they had any sales from it. They never even got the display connected to power. And all that was displayed was the cheapest Kobo at the time.

So I'm used to getting my readers online now. Only the first Sony and the WiFi Nook were bought in a store.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:08 AM   #18
DJUNGELSKOG
Enthusiast
DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DJUNGELSKOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
One downside to the Pocketbook universe if that the bookstore (or at least the English language bookstore) sucks.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Pocketbook devices. They are my principal reading devices.

But I buy my books from Amazon or Kobo and use Calibre and DeDRM to move them to the Pocketbook.
The English language store does suck if you buy a vanilla Pocketbook. If you buy a Vivlio (which is a branded Pocketbook) then it will be connected to the bookstore in which it's sold. In my country that's Standaard Boekhandel and it's currently offering 1.4 million ebook titles, 570k of them are available in English.
DJUNGELSKOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Avid View Post
In the Boox NeoReader? A lot.

Font can be set from anything to 10 to 96.

Line spacing from 0 to 150.

Each margin can be set from 0 to 70.

Additionally, there are settings for character spacing, paragraph spacing, 30 levels of bold and 17 levels of font enhancement.
When you say 30 levels of bold, do you mean that side loaded fonts can have the weight of the fonts adjusted?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:50 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
In the Boox NeoReader? A lot.

Font can be set from anything to 10 to 96.

Line spacing from 0 to 150.

Each margin can be set from 0 to 70.

Additionally, there are settings for character spacing, paragraph spacing, 30 levels of bold and 17 levels of font enhancement.
That does sound nice. Do they support bluetooth page turners?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:48 AM   #21
Ruff_d
Ruff_d began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IC3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
- Well, in my case, the BOOX Page starts within 2 seconds.
But I have no reason to turn it off, I just put it to sleep. I have it set to turn off after 24 hours.
Pocketbook starts from Off mode in tens of seconds too.
- BOOX It can also be used without logging in
- BOOX is more flexible

For my using, the main negatives are PB: Errors in the overall reactivity of the device, dictionaries are very average, only completely basic settings for Font and page settings.
HW equipped with CPU and podone are very backward used today already in PB books released 8 years ago.Limited kernel and SDK.

PS: Dark mode, options for setting buttons and a good coating of the mentioned items are supported by almost every electronic book today.
In addition, the CPU installed is still prehistorically B288, which is already 10 years old and which PB installs even in all the cheapest modelsSo I can't see anything great on the Lite version, which has a screen with a low resolution (at least for me).

Apropos the mentioned BOOX Page has better contrast and sharpness compared to ERA. Personally, I would never go back to ERA from BOOX Page (I had both models for a while ).

But of course stick to your preferences.
The main issue for me with Boox are 3 things:
1. You can't open DRM protected ebooks without using third party apps.
2. YOu don't have a "one place for all books" library. If you use third party apps, the books are listed in the respective app
3. You need to configure the behaviour of the screen and the button in nearly every app. And it's a pain to do that. It shows clearly that Android is not build fr ebooks and Boox is not so "friendly" to pre-configure it.

In with all 3 point, Pocketbook is way better. For me you get a better convenience reading books. Even if you use KOReader, POcketbook behaves as it is the build in app.
Ruff_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #22
Ruff_d
Ruff_d began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IC3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
One downside to the Pocketbook universe if that the bookstore (or at least the English language bookstore) sucks.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Pocketbook devices. They are my principal reading devices.

But I buy my books from Amazon or Kobo and use Calibre and DeDRM to move them to the Pocketbook.
What works really well: you can use their Browser to directly search, buy and download books from another store (you can even bookmark the page and the credentials will be saved). I use it here in Germany all the time as the embedded store is really bad. It doesn't matter if the book store has drm free books or drm protected. You can easily download them (except Amazon of course).
Ruff_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
The thing I have noticed, is the Boox still consumes a decent amount of power when asleep so if I don't turn it off, the battery drains a lot faster.
Many, many years ago programmers for PB360 came with an ingenious hack. Before switching off, the reader did a printscreen and when booting it displayed that printscreen bitmap of the last opened page. So you could start reading the last displayed page like 1 second after cold start.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:58 PM   #24
dmalinovsky
Connoisseur
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I did not know that about the warranty inside the USA! I assumed if one bought a new device and it had issues, one might have to ship it to Europe for any kind of warranty exchange/repair.

Well, glad I found mine used and half-price, though it has not had any issues, nor do I expect it to.
Yep. You can get an extra warranty if you buy it from Amazon, which I didn't. The official warranty is 2 years, though, and I have faith in the Pocketbooks quality.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:50 PM   #25
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Quite true. Also, the included neoreader is impressively good. Better than any of the other built-in readers I have tried.
Does Neoreader support Adobe DRM yet?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote