Old 06-03-2024, 04:28 PM   #16
user105
Enthusiast
user105 began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2, pw2, sony prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Do you have huge covers?
What difference does it make if you page in a bit, go back to My Books and re-open same epub?
Hi,
I can now tell that on shine 5 the kepub engine is broken or my device is broken.

I now own both shine 5 and clara bw and can confirm for kepub files:

On Clara bw the file loads in an instant ; while loading the cover is displayed
On shine 5, no cover during loading and 10s+ for loading

I wonder if anyone on shine 5 can load kepub files in a fast way. The shine 5 firmware 5 even displays the files as tolino EPUB while normal epubs display as epub

This device is seriously broken
user105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 09:54 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just to clarify for me, you are saying you do a lossy compression of level 70, and then do a lossless compression, or do you do a lossless compression and then a lossy compression of level 70? (I don't know if there is difference in the file size if the order is different.)
The compressions are done in the same step. I just have to select to use the level 70 compression and then it does that and then the lossless compression after that.

That can cut out a lot of the file size and make the ePub a lot smaller.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 10:09 PM   #18
cakepuller
cakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo glo, kobo aura, kobo glo hd, kobo clara bw
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You never did answer the question. Do you have some very large covers? I take large covers and large titlepages and reduce them down to 1680 lines. I also lossless recompress all the graphics using a level of 70 for the compression. Yes, it's a lossy compression but after that's done, the losless part removes all the excess data in the graphics files.
Oh sorry, I thought your "large covers" post was directed to @user105.

Anyway, I will try that later, although I strongly doubt if coversize makes a difference given that older Kobo's load EPUBs under 1 sec, while the same EPUBs on my Clara BW takes 9 secs.

In anycase, I don't think we should jump through that reduce-coversize hoop for all of our EPUBs. Hopefully Kobo fixes this with subsequent updates. But for now, I'm okay with using KEPUBs.
cakepuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 10:47 PM   #19
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
I am not sure if this is helpful or not. I have a Clara BW. I do not have any issues opening any of my files either epub or kepub. kepub files open immediately and epub files open slightly slower (maybe 1-2 seconds). Opening any file is faster on my Clara BW compared to my older Libra 2. It sounds like you either have an issue with your source files or your device. The behaviour you describe is not normal imo.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 05:44 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The compressions are done in the same step. I just have to select to use the level 70 compression and then it does that and then the lossless compression after that.

That can cut out a lot of the file size and make the ePub a lot smaller.
Thanks, I learned something new. I normally compress with level 50.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote