Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 09:10 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Ideal for me would be 8" for my armchair and 6" for out and about and in bed. My reality is that I've got a 7.8" which is close enough and I also still use my 5" Mini, especially at the beach.

7" isn't one thing or the other. It's too large to fit a smaller purse and to be comfortable holding in bed, but less than ideal for upright reading at home. If you're going to have only one reader, I see the case for it. But if you have more, or are willing to keep older devices in play (me!), I advocate the two-pronged strategy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:17 AM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
7" isn't one thing or the other. It's too large to fit a smaller purse and to be comfortable holding in bed, but less than ideal for upright reading at home. If you're going to have only one reader, I see the case for it. But if you have more, or are willing to keep older devices in play (me!), I advocate the two-pronged strategy.
I only read books at home (not because I'm housebound, but because I can't focus on a novel anywhere else) and never in bed, so there's no point for me to keep a smaller reader around, especially as I don't really like reading on a 6'' screen. When I'm out and about and finding myself bored, I read something on my phone (news, wikipedia articles, MobileRead - not books). This strategy works well enough for me, not saying that is what everyone else should do, of course. I know perfectly well that lots of people can read a book anywhere, even on public transport or in a store. I have never been able to do that, even as a child - I need a perfectly relaxed and stress-free environment to read a novel.

I also don't find 7'' less than ideal for reading at home, but then I use a fairly small font size. For me there's no real difference between 7'' and 8'', but there's a huge difference between 6'' and 7''. Yes, this sounds funny and weird, but it's the way things are for me.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 10:25 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:19 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It seems you're implying that digital books aren't books because of the screens!
Not at all. I'm saying that at 7", the device disappears more so then a smaller screen. An eBook is a book no matter how you read it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
It maybe the better one, but don't need it or like its bigger form factor or any 7" for that matter. Find the 6" one far more convenient
I like 5" and 6" inch readers. I could probably get used to a 7" one (I've got an old Aura HD that I don't mind when I rarely use it), but I also have an 8" (7.8") Tolino Epos that I've hardly used. Too big and heavy for my taste. Also, I have trouble figuring out what size fonts to use with it. If I use a normal sized font, the lines are too long to be comfortable. If I go with a proportionally larger font (to make it look something like a 6" reader) the fonts seem ridiculously large. Maybe if my eyes get worse, down the line, my preferences will change.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:48 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Also, I have trouble figuring out what size fonts to use with it. If I use a normal sized font, the lines are too long to be comfortable. If I go with a proportionally larger font (to make it look something like a 6" reader) the fonts seem ridiculously large. Maybe if my eyes get worse, down the line, my preferences will change.
You could make the margins larger instead of the font. But of course, if you don't like long lines, then there's not much point in using a 8'' screen. My problem is the exact opposite - I hate short lines. The lines on a 6'' screen are too short for my taste.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:11 PM   #21
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Are there any wackoes here who use a 10" in landscape mode 2-up pages?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Are there any wackoes here who use a 10" in landscape mode 2-up pages?
Mostly to review/proof PDFs for POD (used to use eink, now desktop, laptop or tablet as screens are now better.), or sometimes if reading an ebook in Pocketbook app on the 10.9" TCL nxtpaper 11, if I'm out with the tablet and forgot the Sage.

Really need larger tablet / less wide aspect for nice 2-up.

The Sage is nicer for mono epubs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:59 PM   #23
AJMK
AJMK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I like my 6'' Clara-HD.
Compact; easy to handle; clean front (no buttons).
Would maybe accept a 7'', but not larger (I like the size of a penquin-pocket).

Only my tablet is 10''; because that's nearly A4 and therefore perfect for reading magazines.
AJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #24
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Personally, I prefer my 8" Sage ereader. These old eyes appreciate being able to use a larger font and a reasonable amount of text on the screen. I also have multiple other ereaders in use ranging from a Mini (5"), Clara HD and Paperwhite 10th gen (6") and a Libra Colour (7").
I'm exactly the same. I love the larger screens. They are more flexible. When my eyes aren't tired, I get a lot of text on the screen, when they are tired, I still get a reasonable amount at larger font sizes. I use my Sage at home, the Forma is the one I prefer for taking out and about, due to less weight.

I'm not turning the page constantly with a larger screen, which is helpful, since I have some long-term issues with too much tapping or button-pushing from an old work-related injury. Swiping is my preference, but even that, I don't want to be doing constantly, which, with a 6" screen or smaller, I would absolutely have to at my normal reading pace.

Since 2011, I've owned sizes from 5" on up to the 8" Sage, and it's always the larger sizes that I've had the most pleasure reading on.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote