Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 08:47 PM   #166
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I make those changes too, i.e. remove all font sizes other than 1em, line height and margins from the body css. But I'm not satisfied with the Kobo defaults even after that.
Sorry but I really can't see what's left to be done? You are removing the base margin, line height, etc. I leave the font size for headers, etc. I remove the endless font-size: 1em (100%, etc...), margins setting to 0 and any line heights. I set margins, paddings & text-indent to 0 in the body class and the same plus a padding-top: 0.1em in the base paragraph style. Add an indented paragraph style. After that, inheritance does the most of the work for me. I find my Kobos follow the CSS well enough that most tweaks are not needed. Embedded fonts and dropcaps go bye-bye since 90% of the time they are improperly implemented ( see years of nasty comments about ebooks being created by interns ).

Yeah, it gives me a very boring look but then I'm reading for content not pretty printing.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:22 PM   #167
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry but I really can't see what's left to be done? You are removing the base margin, line height, etc. I leave the font size for headers, etc. I remove the endless font-size: 1em (100%, etc...), margins setting to 0 and any line heights. I set margins, paddings & text-indent to 0 in the body class and the same plus a padding-top: 0.1em in the base paragraph style. Add an indented paragraph style. After that, inheritance does the most of the work for me. I find my Kobos follow the CSS well enough that most tweaks are not needed. Embedded fonts and dropcaps go bye-bye since 90% of the time they are improperly implemented ( see years of nasty comments about ebooks being created by interns ).

Yeah, it gives me a very boring look but then I'm reading for content not pretty printing.
Yes, I do most of the same things (minus the paragraph padding). I just want more finely tuned choices in font sizes and line heights in the Kobo settings than the default ones - so that I can get the text look exactly right for me. I can't get the text exactly right with the default settings - only with patches. That is what I meant by being satisfied with the default settings - obviously they're enough for you, but not for me.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 09:29 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:26 PM   #168
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
How do you deal with books that use various font sizes, e.g. one size for body text, one size for block quotes, one size for footnotes, etc.? Do you just eliminate all of that and use the 1em / medium default for everything?
No. I leave the headings, footnotes, blockquotes etc. alone, or adjust them if they're too small/too large. I only use the standard 1em size for body font.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release