Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM   #1
denysm
denysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Problems after update to 4.38.23038

My Clara 2E did an automatic update to version 4.38.23038. Since then, I have had a number of issues:

Won't connect to wifi. It has also lost the known connections. There is nothing wrong with the wifi - other devices are using it.

Books sideloaded onto the 2E after the update are shown as "KOBO EPUB", previous ones just "EPUB". The page counts for these newly loaded books is more than 3 times higher than they should be. The book I am reading now shows 870 pages; the same book on a non-updated Kobo shows 278 pages.

Has anyone else experienced any issues like these, and does anyone have any ideas to fix them?

Is it possible to roll back an update? No, I didn't get a backup just before the update.

Thanks for any information.
denysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:13 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes, rolling back is easy. Go here:

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

and download the firmware file for your device. Copy KoboRoot.tgz to the .Kobo folder and then eject to perform a manual update to the firmware version of your choice.

KEPUB uses 1 screen = 1 page, so it sounds like Kobo has either erroneously started treating EPUB files as KEPUB, or maybe Kobo is trying to unify the reading engines finally? What you're seeing is normal for KEPUB files but was not normal for EPUB, which should be using Adobe's synthetic page numbering system.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:46 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
How did you sideload the books? From Calibre?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by denysm View Post
Books sideloaded onto the 2E after the update are shown as "KOBO EPUB", previous ones just "EPUB". The page counts for these newly loaded books is more than 3 times higher than they should be. The book I am reading now shows 870 pages; the same book on a non-updated Kobo shows 278 pages.
This sounds as if you have made a change in your setup so you are now sending kepub not ePub to your Clara 2E. That would explain the KOBO EPUB showing up as the book type. Since a kepub uses close to a page per screen whereas an ePub using the Adobe synthetic page number algorithm, the page numbers can vary wildly.

If you are using the Kobo Touch Extended driver, open it's configuration dialog and on the fourth tab (Extended), remove the check mark from the Send books as kepub. Alternatively, switch to the Kobo Touch driver (make sure you transfer the setup) which does not do the on the fly conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-10 215736.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	209506  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:18 AM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Oh, I guess I misread the post as "existing sideloaded books now spontaneously have become KEPUB after the update", rather than new books being sideloaded after the update.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:23 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Oh, I guess I misread the post as "existing sideloaded books now spontaneously have become KEPUB after the update", rather than new books being sideloaded after the update.
That would be very unusual, to put it mildly. I've never read of such a thing happening, and there have been a number of posters here with the latest update.

If the OP uses Calibre, then it's likely the Kobo driver settings there changed for some reason, as DNSB suggested.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:33 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
What I was looking at was the "Books sideloaded onto the 2E after the update are shown as "KOBO EPUB", previous ones just "EPUB"." in the original post. This suggested a change in calibre settings to me. Possibly a switch from using the KoboTouch driver to using the KoboTouchExtended driver or a configuration change in the driver.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
update 4.38.23038