Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-12-2024, 10:48 AM   #2971
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is so much OFF advice out there

1) The plugin works with the Calibre device driver, so it knows about the Kobo (model) needs.

2) Kobo can use EPUB or KEPUB so no need to make the Library have KEPUB just to read on a Kobo. There are additional features that can be gaind. Look at the plugins (all those for Kobo) Configurations and see what they offer if set. I have 2 different Kobo. I even set backup locations by Serial (model)

3) The extended edition CAN convert an EPUB on the fly, the copy book being sent (the Kepub is only on the device) >>> This is a great reason to NOT backdoor (use the OS) to side load. (you set this on the 'Extended' tab. see image.

It has been quite a while, so I do not remember all what I needed to do... But the PI works as installed. Configuration just gets you MORE and is the place where you tell it what custom columns (or folders) to use for that MORE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KUEext.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	208818  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 06:50 AM   #2972
frasderp
frasderp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hey guys, I have an epub that I have cleaned up and polished, however when I use KTE to send to my Calibre HD (latest firmware), some of the formatting has random breaks in the paragraphs.

Both the epub and kepub appear correct when viewing in Calibre on my PC, but in the Kobo, have this issue. Any tips for what to look for?
frasderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 06:53 AM   #2973
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasderp View Post
Hey guys, I have an epub that I have cleaned up and polished, however when I use KTE to send to my Calibre HD (latest firmware), some of the formatting has random breaks in the paragraphs.

Both the epub and kepub appear correct when viewing in Calibre on my PC, but in the Kobo, have this issue. Any tips for what to look for?
Have you tried sending the eBook as ePub and seeing how that goes? It could be a bug in the KePub renderer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 07:31 AM   #2974
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Are you able to get a picture of what it looks like? Is it a full paragraph break or a line break? Is it breaking in the middle of a word or always between words?

Can you use the Scramble ePub plugin to generate a scrambled book file and share that with us? Make sure to include some detail about where you see an unexpected break (chapter 2, in the first few pages) so I can find it in the scrambled book.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 08:17 AM   #2975
frasderp
frasderp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried sending the eBook as ePub and seeing how that goes? It could be a bug in the KePub renderer.
I tried this, and works perfectly on the Kobo (thanks for the question).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Are you able to get a picture of what it looks like? Is it a full paragraph break or a line break? Is it breaking in the middle of a word or always between words?

Can you use the Scramble ePub plugin to generate a scrambled book file and share that with us? Make sure to include some detail about where you see an unexpected break (chapter 2, in the first few pages) so I can find it in the scrambled book.

Here is a photo from the Kobo. After "Just her car." Is a random space that shouldn't be there, and that text should be indented also.

Have attached a scrambled copy, any of the chapters with hyphen (eg 11-1) are the areas that have issue.
Attached Files
File Type: epub kepubexample_scrambled.epub (739.8 KB, 11 views)
frasderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 10:04 AM   #2976
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A Script dialog.

It is a Hanging indent (-5.7) and the 'trick' (spaces) that is used to keep the text in a block for the first line.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 05:55 PM   #2977
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Looking at it, it's possibly a bug in the KePub rendering engine, but the ebook publisher is doing some things that make me question their layout people and I would blame them before I go blaming the rendering engine. It even looks odd in the calibre edit book preview window.

As one example, in chapter11-1.xhtml you have a line (obviously from the scrambled book):

Quote:
Yloka:            V xhn b atre ycoxxkjn. [vojzeqtl] Ihfj, cop, J fjd jscc eio npfs otlc edhqa kikhu-ejvr shko. H pycfi ugmgk rotdcc iw fj, qwv B nmchq pvmpfs tnu sql bhazo mjlch rilhit vx opam kbc p xvg wyq sc fbxhs. S aens zv tjtc atjw jng pm Cwsal j zpx.
Those spaces you see after "Yloka:" are not normal spaces, or tabs, or non-breaking spaces. Those are character 0x2005, the "four-per-em space". Why? Because they can I guess?

The CSS is also doing some things I'm not sure they have any legitimate reason to. The span surrounding "Yloka:" has its margins set to "10px 0 10px 5.7em"; the values are for top, right, bottom, and left, respectively. Then it sets text-indent to -5.7em, which visually has the effect of undoing the 5.7em left margin... but why? Why have a single CSS rule fighting with itself?

Without the weird things they're doing, I strongly suspect the book would render fine in both ePub and KePub engines, but I'm not doing the work to reformat the book into something that makes some semblance of sense just to check that. I'm pretty sure I know what they're trying to do, but there are multiple much better ways for them to accomplish it.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 07:30 AM   #2978
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enelya123 View Post
So I’m a bit dumb. But if I install these plugins then they work without me doing anything? So when I send books to device the plug-in starts to work?
Some plugins do things without configuration.
Most of the interesting things this plugin does needs configuration.

Quote:
Someone told me I needed to turn my epubs to kepubs because not all the book sent to my kobo shows in my books on the kobo.
epubs will show up fine without conversion. They look slightly different and have slightly different functinoality after conversion.

If books don't show up when you add them, either they're not in a format the kobo recognizes, or your kobo's database is corrupt, or you didn't give it time to import. (Or maybe it is there and you just didn't find it.)
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 07:33 AM   #2979
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasderp View Post

I suggest you try to contact the author and tell the author of how poorly made that eBook is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error, kobo aura one