Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-19-2024, 01:00 AM   #1
m610
m610 began at the beginning.

Device: None
My First Conversion Attempt

I'm totally new to Calibra, so I don't understand the process well and I'll make plenty of mistakes, but I thought I'd describe my first attempt and ask if this is normal.

I converted a 300+ page book from PDF to ePUB. It took a few minutes, quite understandable. When I reviewed the result I could see I still had a lot of work ahead of me.
  • The original table of contents was still there. Yes, I can delete that, but I was hoping Calibra could use the information I provided and convert it.
  • The original page numbers are still there, even though the page breaks are different/nonexistent.
  • The fonts were changed, including the size and typeface of chapter headings.
  • All page breaks were ignored. I'd prefer that chapters start on a fresh page.
  • Photo captions were separated from the photos, and they look like the text (same font and size) and are mixed in with the text. That sure makes reading difficult.

Is all this normal?
Mike

Last edited by m610; 06-19-2024 at 01:03 AM.
m610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 01:07 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118605

PDF is a 'paste up' format. That means things are placed upon a page where they GO, not in a linear, top down order.
Really want a mess. Take a 2 column PDF
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 01:09 AM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Yes that is normal for PDF.

See the calibre manual:

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...#pdfconversion

Quote:
PDF documents are one of the worst formats to convert from. They are a fixed page size and text placement format. Meaning, it is very difficult to determine where one paragraph ends and another begins. calibre will try to unwrap paragraphs using a configurable, Line un-wrapping factor....
bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by m610 View Post
I'm totally new to Calibra, so I don't understand the process well and I'll make plenty of mistakes, but I thought I'd describe my first attempt and ask if this is normal.

I converted a 300+ page book from PDF to ePUB. It took a few minutes, quite understandable. When I reviewed the result I could see I still had a lot of work ahead of me.
  • The original table of contents was still there. Yes, I can delete that, but I was hoping Calibra could use the information I provided and convert it.
  • The original page numbers are still there, even though the page breaks are different/nonexistent.
  • The fonts were changed, including the size and typeface of chapter headings.
  • All page breaks were ignored. I'd prefer that chapters start on a fresh page.
  • Photo captions were separated from the photos, and they look like the text (same font and size) and are mixed in with the text. That sure makes reading difficult.

Is all this normal?
Mike
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 01:14 AM   #4
m610

Thanks, all.

Would it be better if I converted ASCII text?

I work with WordPerfect, but I doubt Calibra will handle that. I need to check to see if WordPerfect can output to ePUB.

Mike
Old 06-19-2024, 01:34 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks, all.

I work with WordPerfect, but I doubt Calibra will handle that. I need to check to see if WordPerfect can output to ePUB.

Mike
If your version of Wordperfect can't save as EPUB (IIRC it's fairly recent) try saving as DOCX and convert that. See ==>> What are the best source formats to convert?.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 01:38 AM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Save as ODT or DOCX.

caliber manual is your friend.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...-specific-tips

bernie
edit:

Go to the Baen Free Library and download a ebook in RTF format use it to practice.

Quote:
Thanks, all.

Mike

Last edited by gbm; 06-19-2024 at 01:44 AM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 02:25 AM   #7
m610

Using Wordperfect and saving the book as HTML worked pretty well. It had a table of contents, photos had captions, fonts were preserved, etc.
Old 06-19-2024, 02:27 AM   #8
m610

I'll definitely look at some ePUB books. I'm curious to see if they have a bastard title page, title page, what the copyright page looks like, etc.
Old 06-19-2024, 04:56 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
See can LO Writer open your Wordperfect files, and what formats WP can save/export in.

Which Wordperfect is it?

Edit LO Writer in odt, but an extra Save As in docx for Calibre.

Switch to LO Writer. Wordperfect for Windows was dead twenty years to thirty years ago. Wordperfect for DOS dead 35 years ago.

Edit:
LO Writer certainly opens some versions of Wordperfect directly.
It's free and runs on Mac, Windows and Linux.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-19-2024 at 04:59 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 10:14 PM   #10
m610

I'm using Wordperfect X7, and it is ten years old, but far from dead.

Link: https://www.wordperfect.com/en/

I've been using WP since DOS days and will keep using it as long as it is supported, and then some.

By the way, the PC I use for writing runs Win XP, version 2002. For my writing, there is no reason to upgrade. I have other computers for video production, web creation, etc.

The latest versions of WP do export to ePUB. I might try that.

The version I exported from WP to HTML recently looks okay. It even has the right type of table of contents, keeps my fonts, and the photos and illustrations came through, even with the captions intact. It's probably not eBook-ready, but it looks closer than what I got converting from PDF using Calibra. It'll be interesting to see what Calibra can do with the HTML version.
Old 06-22-2024, 01:32 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
. . .
The latest versions of WP do export to ePUB. I might try that.
If for any reason you don't want to upgrade WP, do try saving as DOCX and converting that. The "best source formats to convert" link I posted rates DOCX a bit higher than HTML, and the DOCX Input code is actively maintained by the creator of calibre.

BR

FTR: Calibra was a not very good European GM car model.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:08 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I used LO Writer on XP till 2016.
I've used Wordstar (CP/M and DOS), Wordstar 2000, Wordperfect (DOS and Windows), MS Word (DOS and Windows versions from 2.0a to 2007), Star Office, Open Office. I even taught word processing.

I've written maybe over 2 M words using LO Writer.

The docx input (via an extra save as) is by far the best import route to Calibre from word processing.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 11:31 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Wot, no Multimate!

Be interesting to see an EPUB save from Wordperfect. I sometimes use the Mammoth route to get a better mapping of Word's styles to the EPUB CSS entries.

Maybe DOCX->WP->EPUB would be better than DOCX->Mammoth(Sigil PI)->EPUB.

BR