Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-09-2024, 06:19 AM   #1
nerdy_knowledge
nerdy_knowledge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Problem with Kobo Utilities plugin

Hi, I'm using the latest version of Calibre on a fully updated Fedora KDE Plasma. When I install Kobo Utilities, I obviously need to restart Calibre. But after a restart, and even after completely rebooting, I keep getting the same message:

Quote:
calibre, version 7.13.0
ERROR: Must restart: You must restart calibre before you can configure the <b>Kobo Utilities</b> plugin
Obviously, restarting doesn´t help. Other plugins don´t have this issue; I only have it with Kobo Utilities and Kobo Annotations. I've been researching the problem online, but since there's only a very generic message, it's hard to find a solution online.

BTW, I have access to a Macbook, where the plugins work just fine.
nerdy_knowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 08:54 AM   #2
nerdy_knowledge

Found it!

I reinstalled Calibre not from the Fedora repository, but from the downloadpage instead. That solved the problem.
Old 08-09-2024, 01:15 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Yeah, don't use Calibre from repository.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #4
WovenTales
WovenTales began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
The issue is that the plugin is using a deprecated type name which has finally been removed in Python 3.12. If using the version on the Calibre download page (and its bundled Python 3.11) works for your personal system administration, great, use that since the community's hostile to native distro packaging. Otherwise, there's a patch posted in the plugin thread which works perfectly well.
WovenTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WovenTales View Post
The issue is that the plugin is using a deprecated type name which has finally been removed in Python 3.12. If using the version on the Calibre download page (and its bundled Python 3.11) works for your personal system administration, great, use that since the community's hostile to native distro packaging. Otherwise, there's a patch posted in the plugin thread which works perfectly well.
The community is not so much hostile to distro packaging as the community is getting tired of people who try to use distro installs which are sloppily built and try to save space by not including all of calibre dependencies. The common advice is to install the official version from calibre's download page which oddly enough seems to fix the issues 99% of the time.

Also note that Linux makes up 4.6% of the installed calibre base (Windows is 80.4% and MacOS 15%) and yet Linux users contribute about ~30% (a quick count) of install issues and most of those complaints are from distro installs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:27 AM   #6
nerdy_knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The community is not so much hostile to distro packaging as the community is getting tired of people who try to use distro installs which are sloppily built and try to save space by not including all of calibre dependencies.
I think this equals to the community being hostile to distro builds - which, with the explanation you've given, is completely understandable, btw. Anyway, my bad, I should've read the official pages before installing the distro build. Being rather new to Linux, coming from a Mac, I've learned my lesson now.