Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2024, 07:17 AM   #31
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Aaand the Libra 2 is capacitive with excellent contrast...
I read a lot on my Libra 2, but it could definitely be better. The screen sharpness is slightly better on my Leaf 2. The warm light is not warm enough in hue on either.

Personally, I'm waiting for a 13" with 300 PPI to arrive. I'll be over the moon!
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:49 AM   #32
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
IR screens do eliminate one layer, but they leave you with a bezel.
That for me is unacceptable.
The old B&N Nook NST was a cruft magnet and the bezel edge alignment was problematical.
Nope, I'll stick with capacitive.

We started with single touch and now we have multi touch and gestures.
Gestures for the big three navigation ops (back, home, recent) is fine with me.
Gestures (vs single touch) for flipping a page is absurd.

I don't want to see ereaders get absurdly thin. (Like Apple.)
Smaller PCBs and using all the area for battery is a good idea.

I'm happy with my Poke5.
As long as the models allow modification I'll stick with Onyx.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:43 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
IR screens do eliminate one layer, but they leave you with a bezel...

The old B&N Nook NST was a cruft magnet and the bezel edge alignment was problematical.
What is this 'cruft' and how do I get it? I've been reading on my Nook STG for the last two weeks and it has not yet given me any of this so-called cruft. I suspect it is holding back on me...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:30 PM   #34
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What is this 'cruft' and how do I get it?
I wrote a decade ago an app that runs on the NST called Touch-1.0.apk (in my sig).
It shows you a visualization of the beams of IR crossing the screen.
Without a finger on the screen all the lines should be the same light gray.
Misalignment of the bezel and cruft will cause some paths to be attentuated.

Here's a screen grab from a decade ago (with a finger).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	touch.png
Views:	23
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	209045  
Old 06-20-2024, 12:50 AM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
What is this 'cruft' and how do I get it? I've been reading on my Nook STG for the last two weeks and it has not yet given me any of this so-called cruft. I suspect it is holding back on me...
Back when I read using an ereader with IR touch, you could get a build up of dust and other garbage under the edges of the bezel which could interfere with the touch working. This was somewhat unaffectionately referred to as crud, crap or cruft as in the sense of rubbish.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 09:20 AM   #36
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't know if it was mentioned above, but colour displays are only half the resolution of the mono displays beneath them. If we want to get to 300 dpi for colour displays, mono displays will need to get to 600 dpi. That may be the driver for even greater resolutions in the mono layer.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 11:04 AM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Back when I read using an ereader with IR touch, you could get a build up of dust and other garbage under the edges of the bezel which could interfere with the touch working. This was somewhat unaffectionately referred to as crud, crap or cruft as in the sense of rubbish.
Partly, I was just fooling around. Partly, I think complaints about dust and the like on IR screens are made to seem much larger than they actually were.

I don't have a strong opinion on IR vs. capacitive, or flush vs. recessed screens. I'll use whatever.

But circumstances (a broken Clara HD and slow shipping on the case for the replacement Clara BW) has had me reading on my old Nook, and I read extensively on the thing when it was new and never had any issues with dust in the bezels. I'm not saying nobody has had a problem. But I think saying it is an issue is overselling it. Especially since the switch to capacitive does not equal the switch to flush screens and flush screens add an additional layer to the capacitive one.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:31 AM   #38
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
I think complaints about dust and the like on IR screens are made to seem much larger than they actually were.
Mmm, I've had times where touch did not work at all even though the screen and bezel appeared clean. Using Touch.apk I could see where the problem was and clean it well.
Old 06-20-2024, 12:01 PM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I don't have a strong opinion on IR vs. capacitive, or flush vs. recessed screens. I'll use whatever.
I don't either, and I have had multiple cats over many years, plus I'm far from being terribly diligent in cleaning the apartment. Never had any problems with cruft under bezels.

But YMMV, of course.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 02:29 PM   #40
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't either, and I have had multiple cats over many years, plus I'm far from being terribly diligent in cleaning the apartment. Never had any problems with cruft under bezels.

But YMMV, of course.
I'm the same, without the excuse of companion animals (unless you count the couch potato...) Housework cuts into reading time!
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 02:55 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
But they need to keep it light.
Not too light and thin especially if it needs to be thicker and heavier for the better battery. If it's too thin, it's not good to hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 03:50 PM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it's too thin, it's not good to hold.
I will say I don't like holding my Clara BW without a case. In my opinion it is too thin and light.
Old 06-20-2024, 04:00 PM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not too light and thin especially if it needs to be thicker and heavier for the better battery. If it's too thin, it's not good to hold.
You can make a thin and light ereader fat and heavy. You can't make thick and heavy ereader thin and light.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote