Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Today, 11:41 AM   #526
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I haven't seen a report that where if you leave WiFI on continuously, books were deleted. It seems to be tied to having WiFi off for a long period, having ebooks on your Kindle that have an ASIN that matches an existing Amazon book and not having that matching book as a purchase/KU loan/whatever in your account.

My suspicion is that it is intentional to remove books from a device that have been removed from the account while WiFi was off but has the side effect of removing sideloaded content that was never in the account.
AFAIK the book may well be on your account, but it will be removed if it's not supposed to be on that specific device. For example, deDRMed and sideloaded Amazon purchases would be removed, unless Download & Transfer was used for that specific Kindle.

Mind, I can't check this, as I no longer own a modern Kindle. I only think this is the case.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:58 PM   #527
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I still think the probable cause is a buggy poorly designed poorly implemented synchronization scheme coupled with a time error on the kindle.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 PM   #528
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I still think the probable cause is a buggy poorly designed poorly implemented synchronization scheme coupled with a time error on the kindle.
Agreed, but in that case, why don't they fix it? Oh wait... they don't really want us to sideload, so they're going to drag their feet on this bug indefinitely.

I hope not, of course, but I'm pretty pessimistic at this point.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #529
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Before it gets fixed, someone in the sw development hierarchy has to be aware of it, it needs to be confirmed, a priority has to be assigned, and higher priorities need to be cleared first. If the number of people affected is small they might never get to it.

If customer modified metadata is involved, all they have to do is declare it unsupported.

Whether they consider discouraging USB transfer a plus is not needed, but it might tip the balance.

Of course, if they actually cared about quality, they would try to fix it. There is a tiny possibility that they are trying and it will eventually, perhaps silently, be fixed.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 02:19 PM   #530
Frogm4n
Groupie
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Content without the metadata tag set, or with it set to PDOC, were untouched in the testing earlier in the thread. That says to me that they aren't discouraging sideloading.
Frogm4n is online now   Reply With Quote