Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #1
galax
galax began at the beginning.

Device: none
DPI and images

Greets,

I had a question related to dpi setting with images for epubs.

Let's say the screen specs says 300dpi, how does this tranlates for images?

Should 300pdi be set only for images fullscreen, that is, the complete screen resolution?

I the case that I want to put two images side by side on one page, does the dpi halves for each image (since images became half screen)?

Or does is it possible to set 300pdi to all images regardless of size for a 300dpi screen?

I am trying to find the optimal settings for an epub.

Thanks in advanced
galax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Forget DPI. It doesn't mean anything. Just make sure your images are high-resolution.

That's all you need to do. You don't need to worry about DPI at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't use dpi either. I know my Libra2 has a screen resolution of 1264 x 1680 so I ensure my images are at least 1000w for landscape or 1500 for portrait images.

Nothing worse than using piddly little images like 300x450 which are then upascaled and look blurry and hazy and any small details or text are unrecognisable.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
From what I understand, DPI is a printer resolution....it will set 300 dots of ink per inch (DPI) for an image regardless of how big the image is, 3x5 inches or 3x5 miles.

On a screen you don't want to have an image resolution that is significantly less than the resolution of the screen, otherwise it will get all blurry if it is expanded to fullscreen... so a 20x30 pixel image would look like crap if it was blown up to 100% of a 1264 x 1680 screen.

Thus, use a good high-resolution image that looks good on your target devices...but don't overdo it unnecessarily ... no need for a 6000x10000 pixel image if it will only be displayed on a phone with 720p.

I personally use about 1600px high images for images intended to take up the full screen inside the book....and about 2200px high for a cover image.

Last edited by Turtle91; Yesterday at 07:41 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:10 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
DPI of images is only a meaningful setting in a source when intending to output a PDF for paper printing.

Images in ebooks are a number of pixels in source and then px (which are not always 1 px = 1 pixel) or % (of a width or height)
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote