Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Today, 12:51 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the most part I just remember. I will double check against the Main library when something looks wrong but that is relatively rare.
Must be some memory. I almost never remember the exact name, and I can't rely on Amazon/Kobo either, because they're inconsistent (as you said) and because I tend to shorten too long series names.

Author names are sometimes even worse. There may be a middle initial, or not; there may be a full first name or there may be initials instead of the first and middle name; there may be a period after the initial or not. And so on. On many occasions I ran the author count plugin and got the result that the author had only 1 book in my library, while I absolutely knew I had more by them; and of course there was some change or variation in the name, which I then fixed.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 12:55 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Must be some memory. I almost never remember the exact name, and I can't rely on Amazon/Kobo either, because they're inconsistent (as you said) and because I tend to shorten too long series names.
Is it trivial and useless information that no one would want to remember? Yes. Can I remember a name or a face? Nope. Decades back when I was at university, I had one person make a suggestion that my housemates should post a photo of me on the bathroom mirror with a caption reading: "Good morning, your name is David".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Author names are sometimes even worse. There may be a middle initial, or not; there may be a full first name or there may be initials instead of the first and middle name; there may be a period after the initial or not. And so on. On many occasions I ran the author count plugin and got the result that the author had only 1 book in my library, while I absolutely knew I had more by them; and of course there was some change or variation in the name, which I then fixed.
I have one author who uses their two first names as CJ, C.J., C. J., Chris J and Chris J. Is he deliberately trying to make our lives more difficult?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:24 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is it trivial and useless information that no one would want to remember? Yes. Can I remember a name or a face? Nope. Decades back when I was at university, I had one person make a suggestion that my housemates should post a photo of me on the bathroom mirror with a caption reading: "Good morning, your name is David".
This reminds me of many SF/Fantasy books and movies where a character meets their unknown twin/clone/reincarnation/whatever and instantly recognizes that person as themselves. To me this has always seemed very unlikely - I mean, would anyone really recognize their own face on another person (unless they really had an identical twin, of course)? I'm pretty sure I would not.

Heinlein's novella "By His Bootstraps" debunks this, by the way - the main character doesn't recognize his various other selves from different time periods, unless he knows beforehand.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 01:27 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:40 AM   #19
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaraxle View Post
It would be nice if there was a way to have a list of the libraries on the left hand side.
If you combine them into a single library, you can set up virtual libraries and use a composite column to display them in the Tag Browser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-08-31 06_39_44-Edit custom column.png
Views:	25
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	210515

Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-08-31 06_37_41-calibre.png
Views:	28
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	210514
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #20
jaraxle
jaraxle began at the beginning.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You could put the libraries into the Favorites menu (plugin) and access that from the library context menu:

Attachment 210509

BR
Thanks I will take a look at this!
jaraxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:02 AM   #21
jaraxle
jaraxle began at the beginning.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If you combine them into a single library, you can set up virtual libraries and use a composite column to display them in the Tag Browser.

Attachment 210515

Attachment 210514
I did not even see virtual libraries until last night. I will poke around with this and see how it works. Thanks!
jaraxle is offline   Reply With Quote