Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-28-2024, 03:55 PM   #31
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I find the asymmetrical design far more comfortable and easier to hold than symmetrical devices. But I guess everyone holds their device in a different way.
I tend to change hands very frequently when reading, so I personally look for symmetric designs.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 04:59 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I find the asymmetrical design far more comfortable and easier to hold than symmetrical devices. But I guess everyone holds their device in a different way.
I'm OK with either design. But I prefer the symmetrical design with no buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 05:10 PM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I tend to change hands very frequently when reading, so I personally look for symmetric designs.
You just rotate Libra, Sage, Oasis. The Kobo flips the text fast enough and the Kobo buttons flip too.

I found/find the DXG, Nook ST and Sony PRS-350 more awkward.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 05:27 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You just rotate Libra, Sage, Oasis. The Kobo flips the text fast enough and the Kobo buttons flip too.

The DXG was awkward from day 1
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 10:27 AM   #35
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

I know that it does, but I sometimes switch mid sentence -- I still think that would be annoying and that I'd be less likely to switch back and forth.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 12:26 PM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Since I have Oases 2 and 3 I know that, for me, it is annoying and does make me less likely to switch back and forth than when I am reading on a Voyage. It's part of why I tend to read an Oasis on a stand.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 07:25 PM   #37
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't mind 6" devices, but do not prefer them.

I had an Oasis for a few months and it was uncomfortable for my hands. There was very little flexibility about how to hold it, I didn't like having to flip to change hands, I kept pressing buttons accidentally, and it was awkward to use swipe instead of page turn buttons. I assume Kobo devices would be similar.

But I like my PocketBook Era. The buttons aren't in the way, weight distribution is uniform so I can shift between hands without flipping, use swipe/tap or page turn buttons.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 08:25 AM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I assume Kobo devices would be similar.
You mean Libra, Libra2, Libra Colour and Sage?

No, I had an Oasis 2 and have Libra, Libra2, and Sage. The Kobo are much easier. I had all 3 of those Kobos while I had the Oasis 2.

I thought the only plus of the Oasis 2 over the PW3 I have was the larger screen and extra storage (32 G model). I wasn't interested in the built-in mobile-cell modem, as I don't use WIFi on the Kindles anyway, even before I got a Kobo original Auraa H2O.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 08:29 PM   #39
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara Colour
6 inch is good for me. The way I see it, the 6 inch is like reading a mass market paperback, whereas, more than 6 inch is like a trade or hardcover.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 08:47 PM   #40
Mr Avid
Enthusiast
Mr Avid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Oasis 3, PocketBook Era
7" asymmetrical for me. I have a 6" device, and I used to love it. But these days, it is too small for me. Either the text is made too small for me to read comfortably or there isn't enough of it on the page for me.

I also switch hands but not so frequently that the few seconds it takes to flip the device over is relevant. Honestly, it is probably good that I good take my eyes of the page once in a while since I tend to get completely engrossed and read for hours without a break.
Mr Avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 08:58 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
7" is a bit too small for me which is why I prefer my 8" Sage. The quad core CPU gives it enough power to be faster than most of the ereaders I've used though the $%&^* Sunxi Allwinner power management is pathetic so battery life is worse than most ereaders.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2024, 03:04 AM   #42
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I recently got myself an Onyx Boox Go 10.3 for notetaking and PDF and manga/BW comic book reading. And I found myself really enjoying reading on it. I guess mostly for the sharp screen, but the bigger format is also very pleasant to read on. I use huge margins.

Otherwise I mostly read on smartphone dimensions: my Hisense A9 and Onyx Boox Palma. The line length on both is perfect. I can read faster and with less effort on them. And they happen to be much more portable. I use the A9 as my phone, so it's always with me.

I do have a couple of 7" devices and standard 6", too. The latter ones I don't use for reading, but that's mostly due to them being Kindles.

Any format pretty much works for me. As long as margins, fonts and line spacing can be configured to my liking.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2024, 12:41 AM   #43
kwik
Enthusiast
kwik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
Have had Boox 7" and Kindle 7", and perfer my 6" paperwhite over 7", easier more comfy to read, much better to take anywhere as its smaller.
I have only used a PRS-T3, which is a Sony device from 2013. It is 6-inch. Great for portability (and normal books). Terrible for PDFs. If we ever see a world with cheap sunlight-legible large screens, I will have 2 devices: one big (10+inch) & one small (6-inch).
kwik is offline   Reply With Quote