Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You have to have an established shortcut highlighted for the remove button to be enabled and to get Tab Focus, and the shortcut field must have a shortcut ready to assign for the Assign button to be enabled and get tab focus.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-10 101015.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	210718

Press Tab

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-10 101050.jpg
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	210719

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

And for the Reports Widgets, what exactly are you finding and in which specific report?
The Characters report… I use it to check for potentially spurious characters. Example: if I saw a Greek letter in an English poetry collection I'd wonder why. For me tapping Enter to see each occurrence is much easier than using a mouse or similar.

BR
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Whoa - just noticed there are Shortcuts in Preferences for handling misspellings - why can't they be used in the Spellcheck dialogue.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-10 111052.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	210720

And why can't the context menu in the Spellchecker be the same as the one in Codeview with the inappropriate entries greyed-out.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-10 112402.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	210721

I notice the user assigned shortcuts are not displayed in that menu, whereas the industry standard shortcuts (Ctrl+X,C,V and A) are displayed. Displaying shortcuts in menu's is how I get to remember them.

BR
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It can not be "enter" that is the default "ok" button trigger on some platforms.

I think I will just make the spellcheck dialog modal and keep the hard coded shortcuts. Dialogs can have their own dedicated shortcuts. And changing them after so long is just going to make people unhappy, for not much gain.

Thanks
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The Characters report… I use it to check for potentially spurious characters. Example: if I saw a Greek letter in an English poetry collection I'd wonder why. For me tapping Enter to see each occurrence is much easier than using a mouse or similar.

BR
Huh? That report is meant for users who want to embed fonts but limit them to the characters actually found in the text of the ebook. All of the chars are typically reported on a single line.
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #36
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Modal?!?!?

Ummmm..... Granted, I don't use spellcheck all that much...I'm perfekt at speling...but when I do, I very often use the double click and then make multiple changes in the CV window. Having to re-run the spell check every time with its inherent re-organizing of the word list would make the process much more painful. Can we please brainstorm this a little more before making life-altering decisions??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #37
KevinH
Sigil Developer

They represent two different spellcheck tools.

The red squiggle underline approach unions the Primary and Secondary dictionaries but does not track lang attributes as it is designed to be used while actively entering or editing text. This is done for speed and because when text is being edited, the tags may still be incomplete so no real lang attributes tracking can be used. This is part of CV and not a separate dialog so it must share the keyboard shortcuts set in Preferences.

The Spellcheck dialog is designed for use when primary editing/entry of text is done and tags are well formed. It fully tracks lang attributes. And can spellcheck in multiple languages (as many as used) simultaneously. It can update and fix misspelled words in multiple places simultaneously. Again this is a separate dialog that uses its own different dedicated shortcuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Whoa - just noticed there are Shortcuts in Preferences for handling misspellings - why can't they be used in the Spellcheck dialogue.

Attachment 210720

And why can't the context menu in the Spellchecker be the same as the one in Codeview with the inappropriate entries greyed-out.

Attachment 210721

I notice the user assigned shortcuts are not displayed in that menu, whereas the industry standard shortcuts (Ctrl+X,C,V and A) are displayed. Displaying shortcuts in menu's is how I get to remember them.

BR

Last edited by KevinH; Yesterday at 10:17 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM   #38
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Modal?!?!?

Ummmm..... Granted, I don't use spellcheck all that much...I'm perfekt at speling...but when I do, I very often use the double click and then make multiple changes in the CV window. Having to re-run the spell check every time with its inherent re-organizing of the word list would make the process much more painful. Can we please brainstorm this a little more before making life-altering decisions??
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔ ↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

There's thread somewhere where Tex2002ans, me and others waxed lyrical on the advantage of a non-modal list based spell checkers.

BTW he's not logged on since January, anything known?

BR
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM   #39
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Modal?!?!?

No worries. This is still just brainstorming. Before anything is changed in code, everyone can have a say and I will not be breaking current work patterns or existing shortcuts. Just adding to them if needed.

So what typical CV changes are you making after double-clicking on a word in the Spellcheck Dialog? Do you manually refresh the spellcheck wordlist?