Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Today, 06:49 AM   #586
Anonymous Guy
Anonymous Guy began at the beginning.

Device: none
I recommend installing Android 11 (for hi-res) or Nougat 64-bit for SD.
I can simplify the steps for you:
1. Download SDK Tools.
2. Go to your search bar and search for "edit the system environmental variables" and then select Environmental Variables...
3. Under System variables select Path > Edit > New > Paste path to your Platform Tools folder.
4. Install Bluestacks, then set up your preferred emulator through the Multi-Instance Manager in the bottom left. My recommended settings are: Portrait, 3840x2160, and 320 DPI.
5. Once done, import KFA 4.16.0.75, attempt to install, then allow for external APKs and restart the emulator.
6. Open up the app, sign in, and—this is important—download a book without opening it. Now we're at the backup.ab step.
7. Navigate to your Platform Tools folder, right-click, and then Open in Terminal.
8. Paste adb backup com.amazon.kindle and press enter. It might fail the first time since it needs to set itself up, so try a second time. You should see a screen in your emulator now, then select Backup. The backup.ab file will be in your Platform Tools folder now.
9. Download and install the latest version of Calibre, then install the latest DeDRM plugins.
10. Once done, go to Preferences > Plugins > Search for DeDRM > Double Click > Kindle for Android ebooks. Select the plus sign, then select Choose Backup File and navigate to your Platform Tools folder, or wherever you exported the backup to. Add the backup, then write in a name for it, then select ok.
11. Install the KFX input and output plugins in Calibre. Preferences > Plugins > Get new plugins.
12. Go back to your emulator, then import KFA 8.51.1.0 and install. Even newer versions will work, but if it ain't broke...
13. Once installed, redownload your books, then open Media Manager > Explore > Android > data > com.amazon.kindle > files. Here you will want to open up your book folders, which start with a B, then extract all the files within to your desktop into a folder of the same name.
14. Open one of the folders, then drag the first kfx file that appears in it into Calibre, and voila, a De-DRM'd KFX file that you can convert into a format of your choosing (EPUB is generally preferred.) For normal books, conversions should work flawlessly, but if you'd got a manga or comic, you'll want to make sure you have "Allow conversion to complete even if errors are detected" selected in the KFX input options. If hi-res isn't a concern for you, I'd suggest just using K4PC using version 2.0.70350 or later.
15. For a much better way of grabbing the files, especially if you downloaded a lot of books, run the command: adb pull sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle Desktop (or whatever location you want on your computer.)
Anonymous Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:14 AM   #587
Anonymous Guy

FYI, hi-res is different from high quality. When I say hi-res, I mean getting the uncompressed ebooks (if they exist.) Nougat-64 bit (AZW3) is perfect for getting good quality books. It all just depends on what you're looking for. Wrote a whole guide with a lot more info, but mobileread isn't letting me post it for some reason.
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #588
Anonymous Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Guy View Post
I recommend installing Android 11 (for hi-res) or Nougat 64-bit for SD.
I can simplify the steps for you:
1. Download SDK Tools.
2. Go to your search bar and search for "edit the system environmental variables" and then select Environmental Variables...
3. Under System variables select Path > Edit > New > Paste path to your Platform Tools folder.
4. Install Bluestacks, then set up your preferred emulator through the Multi-Instance Manager in the bottom left. My recommended settings are: Portrait, 3840x2160, and 320 DPI.
5. Once done, import KFA 4.16.0.75, attempt to install, then allow for external APKs and restart the emulator.
6. Open up the app, sign in, and—this is important—download a book without opening it. Now we're at the backup.ab step.
7. Navigate to your Platform Tools folder, right-click, and then Open in Terminal.
8. Paste adb backup com.amazon.kindle and press enter. It might fail the first time since it needs to set itself up, so try a second time. You should see a screen in your emulator now, then select Backup. The backup.ab file will be in your Platform Tools folder now.
9. Download and install the latest version of Calibre, then install the latest DeDRM plugins.
10. Once done, go to Preferences > Plugins > Search for DeDRM > Double Click > Kindle for Android ebooks. Select the plus sign, then select Choose Backup File and navigate to your Platform Tools folder, or wherever you exported the backup to. Add the backup, then write in a name for it, then select ok.
11. Install the KFX input and output plugins in Calibre. Preferences > Plugins > Get new plugins.
12. Go back to your emulator, then import KFA 8.51.1.0 and install. Even newer versions will work, but if it ain't broke...
13. Once installed, redownload your books, then open Media Manager > Explore > Android > data > com.amazon.kindle > files. Here you will want to open up your book folders, which start with a B, then extract all the files within to your desktop into a folder of the same name.
14. Open one of the folders, then drag the first kfx file that appears in it into Calibre, and voila, a De-DRM'd KFX file that you can convert into a format of your choosing (EPUB is generally preferred.) For normal books, conversions should work flawlessly, but if you'd got a manga or comic, you'll want to make sure you have "Allow conversion to complete even if errors are detected" selected in the KFX input options. If hi-res isn't a concern for you, I'd suggest just using K4PC using version 2.0.70350 or later.
15. For a much better way of grabbing the files, especially if you downloaded a lot of books, run the command: adb pull sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle Desktop (or whatever location you want on your computer.)
adding on to that message...

16. My recommendation is to create one emulator for each (so one for Android 11, and one for Nougat; two each if you want to do two languages.) and use KFA 8.51.1.0 just so you always get high quality images.

Interesting notes: AZW3 is better for Japanese books (quality goes down with KFX,) while KFX is better for English books (only if hi-res is available, otherwise stick with AZW3 for better file organization.) Hi-res = the size advertised on the store page. So if it says like 400MB, that's what you'll get with Android 11 + KFA 8.51.1.0 or better. If you download the same thing on Nougat, you'll only get the compressed version at like 100 something MB (from my experience at least.)