Notices

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #1
baursak
Connoisseur
baursak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2021) Signature Edition
Calibre doesn't see several books on Kobo after a while

Please help me.

I have been successfully dealt with Kobo-Calibre cooperation in the last couple of weeks.

- my Calibre is equipped with three plugins:
* KoboTouchExtended
* SmartJect
* Kobo Utilities

- my Kobo has NickelMenu and NickelClock on board, nothing else

- before every Kobo USB connection to PC I 1) launch Calibre and 2) make a Kobo reboot (via NickelMenu)

Now about the bad luck in detail:
- the other day I sent two books to Kobo via Calibre and even started to read them
- but this morning all of a sudden Calibre stopped to see these two books
- at the same time Kobo has them both physically (via USB connection in Windows Explorer) and in its database (title, author, series are shown OK)
- I can open them and continue to read from the place I left them yesterday- multiple plug / unplug cycles didn't cure the situation.

Question 1. What is the reason?
Question 2. How to cure it?
Question 3. How can I avoid this in the future?

I made finally sign out / sign in again to my Kobo acc, but this is in fact almost the same as factory reset, except all the books stay on Kobo: no former reading positions, no links with former Collections...

Maybe it's because of some inaccurate cache somewhere?
Or it could be cured with 'rescan_books_full' command from NickelMenu?
I simply stuck
baursak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by baursak View Post
Please help me.
You could have a problem with the database. I suggest you connect to your library and use Kobo Utilities to check if the database is OK.

Also, there is a new firmware recently released that fixes the open files issue so you don't have to reboot before connecting to USB.

4.38.23038 is the new version. You can download it here and side load it.

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:19 AM   #3
baursak
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...I suggest you connect to your library and use Kobo Utilities to check if the database is OK...
which item of Kobo Utilities plugin menu should I use for this (the plugin menu screenshots are attached below)?

P.S. I press 'Check for updates' on my Kobo Sage. - But it is still v4.38.21908 (dtd 22.08.23). - At the same time I see newer firmware v4.38.23038 (dtd June 2024) for Kobo Sage on https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html. - Should I update Kobo firmware manually or better wait until it will update itself via WiFi?

P.P.S. How can I restore reading positions after Kobo factory reset via Kobo Utilities plugin in Calibre. - I don't see an appropriate item in the plugin menu but someone told about such possibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Снимок экрана 2024-07-02.png
Views:	22
Size:	961.4 KB
ID:	209320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Снимок экрана 2024-07-02.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	209321  

Last edited by baursak; Today at 12:53 AM. Reason: addendum
Old Today, 01:39 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The database is checked using the Check device database when a Kobo Touch ereader is connected.

To store and restore the reading position information, you will need to configure KoboUtilties. See the attached image for the configuration I use. Once that information has been stored by connecting your Kobo ereader, it can be restored after a reset by using the Restore option in the Store or Restore Bookmarks See attached image.

And yes, I would recommend manually updating your Kobo. Please note that firmware update can no longer be done through calibre since Kobo has made changes in their web setup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-01 223350.png
Views:	20
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	209322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-01 223623.png
Views:	20
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	209323  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:13 AM   #5
baursak
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
...To store and restore the reading position information, you will need to configure KoboUtilties. See the attached image for the configuration I use...
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
...I would recommend manually updating your Kobo...
what files should I put into .kobo folder?
- original ZIP as is?
- TGZ inside it?
- everything from ZIP?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a001 2024-07-02 100956.png
Views:	8
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	209324   Click image for larger version

Name:	a002 2024-07-02 101038.png
Views:	15
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	209325   Click image for larger version

Name:	a003 2024-07-02 101129.png
Views:	11
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	209326  
Old Today, 10:39 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you.

what files should I put into .kobo folder?
- original ZIP as is?
- TGZ inside it?
- everything from ZIP?
Yes, everything inside the ZIP file.
Old Today, 10:53 AM   #7
baursak
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yes, everything inside the ZIP file.
thank you so much
Old Today, 10:54 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
thank you so much
Happy to help. I'm backing up now so I can install the new firmware.
Old Today, 02:57 PM   #9
baursak
Connoisseur

Quote:
Happy to help. I'm backing up now so I can install the new firmware.
After firmware update I see only 'Publisher Default' font face in all my books. - Do you face the same font issue? - How can I add standart Amasis font? - Or some other sans serif font?

Upd. NickelMenu helped with Reboot command and now everything is OK again �� - God bless Nickel software ...

Last edited by baursak; Today at 03:10 PM. Reason: supplement
Old Today, 05:22 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
After firmware update I see only 'Publisher Default' font face in all my books. - Do you face the same font issue? - How can I add standart Amasis font? - Or some other sans serif font?

Upd. NickelMenu helped with Reboot command and now everything is OK again �� - God bless Nickel software ...
Amasis is not a sans serif font. It's an ugly slab serif font.