Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 12:06 PM   #1
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Skim pages not working

I have a Libra 2. When I press and hold a button, I expect it to skim forward or backward through the book. However, it only goes forward or backward one page.

Is there some setting I might have messed up? The only changes I've made is to add some fonts and set page refresh (numPartialUpdatePageTurns) to 75. Latest FW.

What should I do to get this to work?
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:08 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
On my Kobo, if I am reading a kepub (either from Kobo or sideloaded), pressing a button will trigger the fast page flip. This does not work for an .epub.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:50 PM   #3
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

That could be it. I'm reading epubs. Perhaps I'll get the KoboTouchExtended and load books as kepubs.
Old Today, 04:00 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the rapid page turn feature is part of the WebKit renderer. It only works with KEPUB.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:27 PM   #5
foosion
Connoisseur

Is there any downside to converting to kepub (other than having to wait a bit)? Any negatives to how it renders with the default reader?
Old Today, 05:45 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe I'm missing something here.

How do I enable skim mode on a Libra Colour? I'm sure I never did anything to intentionally disable it but .....

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:56 PM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Is there any downside to converting to kepub (other than having to wait a bit)? Any negatives to how it renders with the default reader?
Yes, word spacing tends to be worse in KEPUB, especially if you use ligatures. It depends how picky you are. I use KEPUB exclusively, as I always want access to rapid page turning, the image viewer, the chapter bar chart, and better performance.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:33 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Unless you patch and add the needed configuration option, KePub will look a lot worse then ePub. You can see for yourself just how bad stock KePub looks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:34 PM   #9
foosion
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yes, word spacing tends to be worse in KEPUB, especially if you use ligatures. It depends how picky you are. I use KEPUB exclusively, as I always want access to rapid page turning, the image viewer, the chapter bar chart, and better performance.
I'm just using whatever epub produces in the default reader, other using the formatting controls. Performance seems fine in that pages turn quickly.

It would be nice to expand illustrations. Does the default reader do that (other than zooming out with fingers, which expands the font) rather having to use koreader or some such?
Old Today, 06:36 PM   #10
foosion
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless you patch and add the needed configuration option, KePub will look a lot worse then ePub. You can see for yourself just how bad stock KePub looks.
Which configuration option?

I was just starting to look at kobopatch.
Old Today, 06:36 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Performance is not better with KePub, That used to be true, but no longer.
Old Today, 06:38 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No configuration option is NEEDED - I don't use either kerning or ligatures, as IMO they're totally unnecessary.

I agree that the patch for decreasing word spacing is useful, though.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:39 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No configuration option is NEEDED - I don't use either kerning or ligatures, as IMO they're totally unnecessary.

I agree that the patch for decreasing word spacing is useful, though.
I can give p ligatures easily as I really don't notice them. But I do notice kerning and the last there of. So KePub without kerning is as bad as KF8 on a Kindle. When a font has kerning, it looks better.'

Why is it you prefer a worse look without kerning?
Old Today, 06:40 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It would be nice to expand illustrations. Does the default reader do that (other than zooming out with fingers, which expands the font) rather having to use koreader or some such?
Yes, but only with kepubs.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:40 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here.

How do I enable skim mode on a Libra Colour? I'm sure I never did anything to intentionally disable it but .....
You start reading a kepub book (shows as Kobo Epub in Books view). Hold the button and it will scroll forward or backward depending on which button you hold. As mentioned earlier, this will not work with an ePub book.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote