Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM   #1
Scoob
Scoob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage and Kindle Keyboard
Question What's a good choice for a second hand nook🤔

I'm looking to add another symmetrical button ereader to my line up with a budget of 30$. I'd like it to sideload books as simply as it is to do with my Kindles. If it helps, I use Calibre on Windows 10 and am decently tech savvy. Moreso if I have directions to follow. I am undecided if it needs to have a backlight or not. Storage wise I always like to have most storage possible on my other devices but I'm in the dark when it comes to e readers. Also preferably a device in the 6in size please.
Those are really my only parameters but feel free to tell me if I should be asking more things to get a better pick. I've never used a Nook before but if the software or reading ui has quirks that's okay.

Last edited by Scoob; Yesterday at 12:59 AM. Reason: I'm bot sure what touch vs classic prefix means so I made it blank.
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I'm not a Nook user, but from what I've read in this forum, a good choice would be Nook Glowlight 3 from 2017.

No idea if you can get it for 30$, though.

Last edited by Sirtel; Yesterday at 12:07 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Nook Glowlight 3 is excellent. The amber lighting is also good for bedtime reading. I've had no problems sideloading.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #4
RWTS
Connoisseur
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I concur. The Glowlight 3 is a great device. Comfortable to hold, a nice screen and the adjustable warm light is wonderful. If you can snag one in good condition for under $30, I'd say it's a steal.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #5
Scoob

I did take a look at the glowlight 3 as recommended. It ticks a lot of my boxes unfortunately its more than double my budget I did find Nook Simple Touch with and without glowlight at my price point though. Other than those models being older that the glowlight 3 I imagine the ease of use and the like will be similar right?
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post
I did take a look at the glowlight 3 as recommended. It ticks a lot of my boxes unfortunately its more than double my budget I did find Nook Simple Touch with and without glowlight at my price point though. Other than those models being older that the glowlight 3 I imagine the ease of use and the like will be similar right?
The software should be similar, yes.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #7
Scoob

I did see that old nooks aren't supported now which isn't a problem. What might be a little bit of a problem is I read that an unregistered nook will have increased battery drain. Is there something I can do to stop that?
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #8
RWTS
Connoisseur
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
I purchased the Simple Touch when it first came out and it's still going strong with a family member (and on the original battery!). It's a rock solid device and I personally think it's one of the best ereaders B&N ever made.

That said, there are three points I'd be wary of. The first is that after all this time the soft touch/rubberized finish is beginning to break down, giving the Simple Touch a sticky feel. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Second, while my ST's battery is still going strong, keep in mind these things are over a decade old. The battery may need replacing, adding to the cost.

The third is more problematic. B&N no longer supports the Simple Touch. Even though you plan to sideload and my family member primarily sideloads library books, it can't be registered. So if the seller factory resets the device or you want to do a factory reset after receiving it, you won't be able to start from scratch... unless there's a way to bypass registration. I recall reading of a way to do it years ago, but I'm not sure the method would still work today. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on the subject will chime in.

Just some things to consider.

Quote:
I did see that old nooks aren't supported now which isn't a problem. What might be a little bit of a problem is I read that an unregistered nook will have increased battery drain. Is there something I can do to stop that?
I was typing when you posted this. That's good if registration isn't a problem. Sorry, but I'm afraid I don't know anything about increased battery drain with unregistered Nooks. Hopefully someone else knows more about that.

Last edited by RWTS; Yesterday at 08:56 PM.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM   #9
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
For registered clones of the NST and additional variations, see The Phoenix Project: https://xdaforums.com/t/nst-g-the-ph...oject.4673934/

As for the bezel, I have six devices. Some are fine, one is brittle--not good if you're hooked on buttons--and one is gooey at one of the buttons. Who knows what the factors are.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the early run of NSTGs have noticeably grayer screens, at least when side-by-side with an NST. Also, the light dispersing layer was pretty fragile and poor handling often resulted in "tears" which showed up as bright little streaks when the light is on.

Toward the end of the manufacturing run these issues were much improved, but there's no knowing what you'll get. One of mine is perfect, the other two have minor tears.
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 AM   #10
Scoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin View Post
For registered clones of the NST and additional variations, see The Phoenix Project: https://xdaforums.com/t/nst-g-the-ph...oject.4673934/
I will be sure to check that site out thanks nmyshkin.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the early run of NSTGs have noticeably grayer screens, at least when side-by-side with an NST. Also, the light dispersing layer was pretty fragile and poor handling often resulted in "tears" which showed up as bright little streaks when the light is on.

A slightly gray screen won't mess with me too much but if it has bright streaks thats all my eyes will gravitate towards. That's something I'll ask the seller if I find a STG.

Last edited by pdurrant; Today at 02:38 AM.
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #11
Scoob

Yeah that's a problem. I am not too bothered by the feel of things but constantly touching something sticky will get to me in time. That would also explain a cheap ST I saw on ebay today that looked like someone used a chisel or knife to remove the finish.

I don't mind replacing a battery. I looked up prices and not too expensive so I can still come in under budget if I go the ST route.

Last edited by Scoob; Today at 01:09 AM.
Old Today, 06:41 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The nook software is garbage. B&N never could do good software. And supposedly on the latest firmware for the models that it supports, they've removed hyphenation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:01 AM   #13
Scoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The nook software is garbage. B&N never could do good software. And supposedly on the latest firmware for the models that it supports, they've removed hyphenation.
I don't think I have to worry about that on these old nooks I'm looking at. But that's something I'll keep in mind if I ever make the jump and splurge on the new glowlight.