Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I don't like columns of text or very short lines (so I prefer 8″ ereader to matt screen phone), but don't like too wide, so my browser is about 1/3rd width and full height of screen. I hate sites that don't reflow and hate that Mobile Browser makes sites like PDF, no reflow if you zoom in.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I don't like columns of text or very short lines (so I prefer 8″ ereader to matt screen phone), but don't like too wide, so my browser is about 1/3rd width and full height of screen. I hate sites that don't reflow and hate that Mobile Browser makes sites like PDF, no reflow if you zoom in.
I always use my browsers (and most other applications) full size, without exception.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I prefer 7'' and 8'' screens and the main reason is line length - I find longer line length more comfortable than shorter. Not too long, of course - I wouldn't want to read on a 10'' or larger screen with the font size I use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
There is no truth in in subjective preferences and comfort. Everyone will have their preferred reading format, and I did not intend to debate that. (I even said I prefer the larger screen myself.). But speaking in terms of just basic reading speed, I think the science on that is .... relatively clear and well studied. It's a point I only bring up because someone is raving and ranting about things that shouldn't exist.
A rather strange statement that there is no truth in subjective preferences and comfort.

Not quite sure what you are referring to with the basic reading speed? A quick Google search for studies comes up with the majority stating that longer lines are linked to higher reading speeds. Oddly, most of the studies also show that there is a wide variance between the line length where people read the fastest and the line length they feel most comfortable with. Basically, not much science and a lot of personal preference. The results on comprehension varied from shorter lines yielding higher comprehension to long lines leading to higher comprehension to the most popular conclusion that line length having no effect on comprehension.

Quote:
Mary Dyson (2004) conducted research on line length, and combed other studies to determine what line length people prefer. Her work showed that 100 characters per line is the optimal length for on-screen reading speed;
Quote:
Left-justified text is read faster than full-justified text.
Quote:
A medium line length appears to support effective reading at normal and fast speeds. This produced the highest level of comprehension and was also read faster than short lines.
The Effect of Line Length and Passage Type on Reading Speed, Comprehension, and User Satisfaction states about 95 cpl is optimal for reading speed.
Quote:
This study examined the effects of line length on reading performance. Reading rates were found to be fastest at 95 cpl. Readers reported either liking or disliking the extreme line lengths (35 cpl, 95 cpl). Those that liked the 35 cpl indicated that the short line length facilitated "faster" reading and was easier because it required less eye movement. Those that liked the 95 cpl stated that they liked having more information on a page at one time. Although some participants reported that they felt like they were reading faster at 35 cpl, this condition actually resulted in the slowest reading speed.

Furthermore, line length had no effect on comprehension.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #34
Denodan1
Connoisseur
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Find I can read with small fonts, don't use big fonts on my Clara, so can scale it to refect the same page lines and scale as my Kindle 6.8" so get as many lines and words, just slightly smaller on the Clara, as you can adjust line spacing on the Clara.

It's like say comparing a 35" tv to a 40" one. Have the same picture info, just the 40" is a larger scale.

Same as the Clara and Libra. By adjusting the Clara scaling can get as many lines and words as the Libra

In normal mode unless you make the Libra even smaller

So yes can scale the Clara or any other 6" to match a 7" by scaling the screen.

The only issue I can see why people are saying needs more page turns, etc, is bad eyes, hense big fonts on the 6" and if ypur eyes are that bad then need a serious eye check. Unless you accually like giant fonts.

That's the beauty of e readers can choose and scale the screen to suit its screen size or your liking

Last edited by Denodan1; Yesterday at 06:09 PM.
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #35
Denodan1
Connoisseur
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Kobo 6 and 7 words per page the same

For those who say the 6" is to small and unreadable, and cannot have the same amount of words and lines as the 7 ,you need glasses. Perfectly readable on both

Here I have the exact same scale on both and both have the same exact words.

Had to adjust my kindle fonts and space, etc to match the lines on my Clara, so can read from one to the other, abd bookmark the same page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240808_140730.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	704.3 KB
ID:	210016  
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sadly, my old eyes do need glasses and I find I need a larger font size to keep my eyes comfortable.

See attached the screencaps from two of my Kobos showing the same page with the same amount of text on the screen (the Sage is at a comfortable font size, the Clara HD obviously needed a smaller size to fit the same amount of text on the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clara_hd.png
Views:	11
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	210017   Click image for larger version

Name:	sage.png
Views:	8
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	210019  

Last edited by DNSB; Yesterday at 10:44 PM. Reason: Ooppss. Attached wrong image for Sage.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
For those who say the 6" is to small and unreadable, and cannot have the same amount of words and lines as the 7 ,you need glasses.
Why are you constantly repeating that? Lots of people do need and wear glasses.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote