Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps that the Kobo Forma was discontinued over two years ago? Even if you purchased one of the last Forma's sold, unless you paid for the extended warranty, your Forma would no longer be in warranty.

Are you stating that your Kobo Forma is still in warranty? You paid for the extended warranty?

Have you tried opening it up and re-seating the cables? There are enough YouTube videos though adding battery replacement to the search string will eliminate most of the unboxing videos.
Out of curiosity, I still see Formas for sale, for example blue proton is still selling them on Amazon U.S. Does Kobo still need to honor the warrenty?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Out of curiosity, I still see Formas for sale, for example blue proton is still selling them on Amazon U.S. Does Kobo still need to honor the warrenty?
Considering that Blue Proton also states that the Forma is not discontinued by manufacturer? BTW Kobo Canada was selling the refurbed Forma for $189.99 Cdn (~$139.80 US).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-17 122609.png
Views:	15
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	210864  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Considering that Blue Proton also states that the Forma is not discontinued by manufacturer? BTW Kobo Canada was selling the refurbed Forma for $189.99 Cdn (~$139.80 US).
Does it being discontinued matter as far as warranties go? I seem to recall that Kobo was selling Formas at a discounted price once the Sage came out and the Forma was "discontinued"?

I assumed Blue Proton was an authorized dealer. Should people who purchase from Blue Proton be worried about warranties?

I'm ignorant on warranty law, so I'm curious.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #19
Graham44
Graham44 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermano View Post
.....but they claim they have no authorised repair facilities.
That would be the most worrying bit to me - no authorised repair facilites, now maybe Amazon is the same, but when a company says this what they are really saying is no matter if your device is five years old or five days old if it breaks it gets chucked away.

Yes Kobo can be fixed (from what I've seen, I don't own one) but I'm guessing that if they have no authorised repair facilities if you do fix one it would not be an authorised repair so if it was still under warranty that warranty would then be void (?)

I just had a problem with a new Paperwhite, Amazon replaced it with no fuss, but what happened to the faulty one? in the bin?

I think companies need to be forced to make goods that are repairable as the mountain of junked e-waste is just getting bigger and bigger
Graham44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Depending on where you are the rules can differ. Locally, once a device is discontinued, the end of sales date kicks in. Once the base warranty period has been exceeded (i.e. end of sales date plus 1 year), trying to register your device for warranty purposes may not work though most manufacturers allow a grace period of 6 months to 1 year after the end of sales before no longer accepting registrations for warranty purposes.

A purchase made from Blue Proton should have the usual warranty terms but Ghu alone knows how purchasing a discontinued item that is at least 2.5 years old is going to be treated for warranty purposes.

Much of this is based on the experience of one friend of mine who purchased a 55" Sony TV from a local retailer a couple of years back. The TV had been discontinued by Sony about 3 years before (2018/9? model in early 2022) and was put on sale along with a bunch of other found in warehouse devices. The price was great but when he tried to register on Sony's site, he was informed his TV was not eligible for warranty coverage. OTOH, he was still able to download the latest firmware update and install it.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #21
foosion
Addict
foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does it being discontinued matter as far as warranties go? I seem to recall that Kobo was selling Formas at a discounted price once the Sage came out and the Forma was "discontinued"?

I assumed Blue Proton was an authorized dealer. Should people who purchase from Blue Proton be worried about warranties?

I'm ignorant on warranty law, so I'm curious.
In the US, there's a one year warranty from the date of original retail purchase from an authorized dealer. They'll repair or replace with a new or refurb unit, perhaps another more valuable model. https://www.kobo.com/userguides has warranties for many countries.

I don't see any limits relating to a product being discontinued, but I might have missed something.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I seem to remember many years ago (back at the time of the original Kobo with Bluetooth and the Kobo WiFi) that some repairs were done by Celestica in Toronto.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
In the US, there's a one year warranty from the date of original retail purchase from an authorized dealer. They'll repair or replace with a new or refurb unit, perhaps another more valuable model. https://www.kobo.com/userguides has warranties for many countries.

I don't see any limits relating to a product being discontinued, but I might have missed something.
From what I find on Kobo's web page, Blue Proton shows as a authorized dealer. See Where to buy.

OTOH, after a quick chat with Blue Proton's online assistant, I suspect that no one there knows any more than we do.

Last edited by DNSB; Yesterday at 10:19 PM.
Old Today, 04:27 AM   #24
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Kobo customer care (or lack of)

Quote:
I have been in discussions with Kobo last few days about my Forma which developed a fault. Single vertical and single horizontal line visible when refreshing page.

Similar fault has been widely reported on this and other forums where consensus seems it is caused by loose cable to the screen. I can categorically say mine was never dropped or suffered any other trauma.

Kobo customer service have been very unsupportive. They refuse to even take a look at it. I do not want a replacement but if a simple fix is possible then that is what I was asking for.....but they claim they have no authorised repair facilities.

I do not have the tools, dexterity or skill to open it up and try myself (others have successfully).

This has put me off buying Kobo in future ( this is my second Kobo). Although I prefer their software etc the lack of support when things go wrong means I will have to look elsewhere.

I find it hard to understand why they do not offer repair services?

I’ve contacted Kobo CS quite a bit. I’ve had an unusual amount of glitchy problems over the years from missing purchases to model specific database corruptions. The CS experience is dependent on the competency of the employee you receive. Most of my experiences with Kobo have been positive, but quite a few were user hostile with CS reps who made the situation worse than it needed to be. So I feel for you. CS support *anywhere* is a crapshoot. Kobo isn’t unique in this.

But I don’t have that problem anymore. A few years back I changed my approach, especially with Kobo. When I encounter a pedantic, PEBCAK-minded darling, I hang up and call back. It’s worth the wait to get another agent.

That being said, Kobo doesn’t do repairs. When your device is covered under warranty, and the CS agents can’t fix your issue, back up your device and push for a replacement. That’s it. As other have mentioned, the newer models now have Kobo authorized repair pages on iFixit, but there are a lot of YouTube videos out there to help you repair your older device. It may be new to you, but it’s an older model built with the old disposable product mentality.

But if it’s under warranty, push for a replacement!
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:02 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with buying a Forma now is that if you do need to claim on the warranty, you may not get it replaced. So you'd end up with a with either a different Kobo or a discount on a new one and IMHO, there's no Kobo that can replace the Forma. The Sage is not it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:08 AM   #26
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I’ve contacted Kobo CS quite a bit. I’ve had an unusual amount of glitchy problems over the years from missing purchases to model specific database corruptions. The CS experience is dependent on the competency of the employee you receive. Most of my experiences with Kobo have been positive, but quite a few were user hostile with CS reps who made the situation worse than it needed to be. So I feel for you. CS support *anywhere* is a crapshoot. Kobo isn’t unique in this.

But I don’t have that problem anymore. A few years back I changed my approach, especially with Kobo. When I encounter a pedantic, PEBCAK-minded darling, I hang up and call back. It’s worth the wait to get another agent.

That being said, Kobo doesn’t do repairs. When your device is covered under warranty, and the CS agents can’t fix your issue, back up your device and push for a replacement. That’s it. As other have mentioned, the newer models now have Kobo authorized repair pages on iFixit, but there are a lot of YouTube videos out there to help you repair your older device. It may be new to you, but it’s an older model built with the old disposable product mentality.

But if it’s under warranty, push for a replacement!
Could not agree more. Instead of pedantic I am getting condescending and patronising. Speaking to me as if I were a child.
hermano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #27
foosion
Addict
foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.foosion can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Quote:
2 year warranty in UK. Also may be covered by Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Just to be clear, are you covered by the UK warranty?

Did they offer to do what the warranty requires, which is to replace with a new or refurb unit if the problem is due to defects in materials and workmanship under normal consumer use for two years from original retail purchase? They could repair at their option, but that's clearly not an option.

Does the 2015 Act require them to do more?
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #28
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Just to be clear, are you covered by the UK warranty?

Did they offer to do what the warranty requires, which is to replace with a new or refurb unit if the problem is due to defects in materials and workmanship under normal consumer use for two years from original retail purchase? They could repair at their option, but that's clearly not an option.

Does the 2015 Act require them to do more?
In answer to your queries:

I believe I am covered by UK warranty.
Kobo refuse to accept defect responsibility, despite me pointing out others with same/similar issue.

They refuse to even look at my Forma.

The 2015 Act may require them to do more. Consumer law in UK states Goods must last a reasonable time which has been defined as anything up to six years. This is dependent on type of goods and cost. I would suggest a £200+ ereader should be expected to last beyond 2 years.
hermano is online now   Reply With Quote