Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 03:58 PM   #91
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I think eink technology is now mature enough that there may never be any huge leaps anymore - updates will be incremental, just like it is with computers, tablets and phones. Unless someone invents another technology entirely.
I don't think I there have been any huge "eink" leaps in the past, other then the initial release. The big leaps I can think of are lighting, touch screen, and color. So I could see a big leap in eink readers, just not in eink itself.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:07 PM   #92
Denodan1
Enthusiast
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
The colour will get better, but the non colour wont. Colour has already improved over then 1st and second gen versions
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:48 PM   #93
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
The colour will get better, but the non colour wont. Colour has already improved over then 1st and second gen versions
Hardly any improvement in Kaleido. Any improvement is due to incremental mono Carta improvements.

Physically it's impossible to get better because it's on a mono eink with black, white and 14 greys.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:57 PM   #94
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kaleido 1 had horrible ghosting and 100 PPI. Kaleido 3 is a significant improvement, even if it's still a fundamentally flawed technology.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:19 PM   #95
Denodan1
Enthusiast
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
And don't forget Kaleido 3 offers far more colour, still not perfect, but colour adds to the who experiences and its like watching a black and white TV to colour. Think having colour is well worth it and worth putting up with the issues colour can have. As for reading, not a lot of difference at all.

I think the Boox is the better investment, as just to read, colour is not worth it as all you see is pretty colour covers, but get into the book is just black words of white, and only comes into it with comics or books with colour pictures.

But the Boox make more use of colour being android and can even store photos on it and apps which contain and use colour, so Think Boox being in colour is more worthy a buy than kobo as its more customisable and can even adjust colour, etc, and better contrast and colour pop over the Libra Colour.

However all this customization comes at a cost, as so many choices, its not as user friendly and maybe a bit bothersome or hard for some, but if you like to tinker its the better choice I feel due to its more than just an e reader so can get more use.

It sits between a tablet and ereader
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:33 PM   #96
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It depends what you want. I want an e-reader, not a tablet, so I bought a Kobo.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:41 PM   #97
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It depends what you want. I want an e-reader, not a tablet, so I bought a Kobo.
Ditto. For playing around I have other devices; I don't need another tablet-like device. On my Kobos I want only to read, and only black and white novels at that; I have no interest in comics.

YMMV, as always.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:59 PM   #98
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Kaleido 1 had horrible ghosting and 100 PPI. Kaleido 3 is a significant improvement, even if it's still a fundamentally flawed technology.
The ghosting was the kind of mono eink panel used.
Old Today, 06:04 PM   #99
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
And don't forget Kaleido 3 offers far more colour, still not perfect,
Than what? ALL colour eink using Pearl, Carta, Carta 1200, Carta 1300 (Triton or Kaleido) are limited by the mono eink to a maximum (if perfectly calibrated) of 4096 variations (sum of hues, brightnesses and saturations).
It only offers more colour than mono.