Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM   #1
kangxi
kangxi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Synchronising metadata? Metadata in the Kindle?

I'm busy using Calibre to edit the metadata for the books in my library, trying to set up some consistency with the tags, when a couple of thoughts struck me.
For each update, does Calibre update the matching metadata of the duplicated books sitting within the kindle? If not, is there any way to synchronise metadata files?
And second, does the Kindle (mine's a paperwhite) pay any attention to the tags anyway? If I do a search my Kindle appears not to return any book other than matching titles or authors and ignores common search terms within the tags.
kangxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:58 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No and no. The only way to update metadata on your Kindle is to resend the books; and no, Kindles don't use tags or series information with sideloaded books.

Both of those things are possible with Kobos and (as far as I know) with Pocketbooks. Calibre can automatically update metadata on your Kobo without resending the books, and also automatically create collections on the device based on tags or whatever other custom category you want. But not with Kindles.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:26 PM   #3
kangxi
kangxi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for that - I shan't bother with the tags then. Which is a pity but saves a lot of work. I'll just have to rely on searching within the Kindle for an author then looking up on the internet for which order to read the books in.
kangxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:45 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangxi View Post
Thanks for that - I shan't bother with the tags then. Which is a pity but saves a lot of work. I'll just have to rely on searching within the Kindle for an author then looking up on the internet for which order to read the books in.
There are ways to get a series order to a Kindle - the first is to use the metadata plugboards in Calibre to affix the series name and number to the title of the book on your Kindle (like, Game of Thrones (The Song of Ice and Fire 1) or The Song of Ice and Fire 1 - The Game of Thrones or whatever other combination you want). Another way is to keep a text file listing your series in the correct order on your Kindle.

I used the metadata plugboard method back when I used Kindles.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote