Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2023, 02:27 PM   #76
dedeca
Enthusiast
dedeca is on a distinguished road

Device: PW3 and PW5
The books now start with the cover. I remember seeing some people on reddit complaining that the books didn't start with the cover. Well, it's good to know that this is no longer a problem.
dedeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 06:40 PM   #77
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeca View Post
The books now start with the cover. I remember seeing some people on reddit complaining that the books didn't start with the cover. Well, it's good to know that this is no longer a problem.
On my Fire, the cover doesn't appear until after I open and close the book. The thumbnails remain after download is removed.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-03-2023 at 06:49 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:41 PM   #78
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Page-list is the official page numbering scheme for ePub 3. If you generate the optional TOC .ncx file, it should be treated the same for ePub 3 or ePub 2.
That doesn't mean that kindlegen actually does so. But I was wrong, it worked just fine on a recently purchased EPUB 3 book. I jumped to a wrong conclusion because in the one prior EPUB 3 that I opened up to look around there were target IDs with page number info but none of the navigation files had any markup referering to them.

It boggles my mind that big N publishers put in the grunt work to create the page number info but don't bother with the easy to automate navigation info.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 03:53 PM   #79
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have just discovered that Send To Kindle PDFs are now getting converted to Print Replica KFX for the Kindle Android, iOS and the just-launched new macOS apps, just as Scribe has been getting since it launched. So you can now annotate them, and the annotations and reading position sync. PDF bookmarks are converted to a nice ToC for navigation.

Weirdly, on iOS (and the new Kindle for Mac), the thumbnail changes from 'PDF' to 'DOC' once it is downloaded. It would be nice if it generated thumbnails from first page of the PDF, of course (if you generate Print Replica locally and side load, they have cover thumbnails).
Can you please point me in the right direction for making that conversion? I have lost all my magazine thumbnails on Kindle for iPad. The thumbnails make it much easier to browse magazines.

Is there an option besides Kindle Create?

Last edited by Desertway; 10-12-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:01 PM   #80
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
Can you please point me in the right direction for making that conversion? I have lost all my magazine thumbnails on Kindle for iPad. The thumbnails make it much easier to browse magazines.

Is there an option besides Kindle Create?
What is the origin of the magazines? are they PDFs you are sending in?

If so I am not sure how you would ever have seen covers. PDF personal documents never had them, and now neither do Print Replica personal documents.

If they're from Amazon then that's some issue of theirs, has nothing to do with the improved support for personal documents.

Yes, if you convert to Print Replica and side load the covers should be there. If I remember correctly you need to create a KPF with Kindle Create and then KFX Output plugin to generate Print Replica.

Maybe if enough people request, they will generate cover as part of conversion. We could hope anyway. Even without fancy covers it would be nice to see first page of some report or whatever you are sending.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-12-2023 at 08:06 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:25 PM   #81
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
What is the origin of the magazines? are they PDFs you are sending in?

If so I am not sure how you would ever have seen covers. PDF personal documents never had them, and now neither do Print Replica personal documents.

If they're from Amazon then that's some issue of theirs, has nothing to do with the improved support for personal documents.

Yes, if you convert to Print Replica and side load the covers should be there. If I remember correctly you need to create a KPF with Kindle Create and then KFX Output plugin to generate Print Replica.

Maybe if enough people request, they will generate cover as part of conversion. We could hope anyway. Even without fancy covers it would be nice to see first page of some report or whatever you are sending.
These are PDF scans. Maybe I'm crazy, but I was sure that I did have thumbnails on the iPad Kindle app until I did a new install with new book downloads. They were all send-to-kindle. Thanks for the instructions.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:36 AM   #82
nguoi doc sach
nguoi doc sach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I am currently using a jailbroken Kindle Paperwhite 3 on firmware version 5.14.1. Is there a way to spoof the firmware version to a more recent one, such as 5.16.2.1.1, in order to receive .kfx format files? Any thoughts?
nguoi doc sach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:08 AM   #83
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguoi doc sach View Post
I am currently using a jailbroken Kindle Paperwhite 3 on firmware version 5.14.1. Is there a way to spoof the firmware version to a more recent one, such as 5.16.2.1.1, in order to receive .kfx format files? Any thoughts?
Amazon keeps track of what version Kindle devices and apps are running by their build number which is sent back to Amazon's servers so that they can determine which book formats the device/app are capable of reading. Perhaps someone else will know where that is stored on the device.

The results of changing the build number may be bad. It can cause problems with the interaction between the device and Amazon's servers since they will treat the device as having different capabilities than it actually has.

Amazon has added new features over time to KFX format since it was first released in 2015. Some books can only be read in KFX format on newer firmware because they contain features that are unsupported on older firmware and will not display correctly on those devices. In order to make that work Amazon falls back to delivering an older format (MOBI or KF8) if the device cannot handle the KFX version of a book. If you force Amazon to deliver KFX instead you will probably wind up with something unreadable on your Kindle.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote