Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 09:26 AM   #76
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If you mean upgrading on a Kindle platform, then no. There are plenty of different models from other companies, though. Some of them have better screens than the Oasis had and basically all have USB-C.
Open to other brands, Kobo/Boox/etc, but it seems there hasn't been a generational leap yet in ereader technology, discounting color.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:30 AM   #77
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
No its not, seen videos and heaps of mucking around. Dont need to crap when I get the boox and its a flush glass screen, not plastic like Kobo. Why bother when I can do it much easier with the boox and far more memory and can do far more, and far more customisable also. Its a better e reader due to can do far more with it and customize colour staturation, etc. Have seen video comparing and the boox has more vibrate colours
There is one reason one should consider "mucking around" (besides library organizing) and that is backing up your books. If you don't remove the DRM and make your own backups, your only hope is that the stores where you bought your books will never go defunct or close your account (the latter is known to have happened to several Amazon customers, for example). Granted, if you're the type who reads everything only once and deletes, this may not matter to you.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:31 AM   #78
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbaddude View Post
Open to other brands, Kobo/Boox/etc, but it seems there hasn't been a generational leap yet in ereader technology, discounting color.
There is not a huge difference, no.
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #79
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
No hassle in my opinion - I use Calibre anyway, because I want to have all my ebooks in one place and make backups of my library. I still have all the ebooks bought from stores that went defunct more than a decade ago, as well as all my Amazon, Kobo, Google Play ebooks. And I avoid buying duplicates easily by just checking my Calibre library.

YMMV, of course. I know that many people are not interested in liberating and managing their ebooks, but this limits their choices in ereaders. I can buy absolutely any ereader out there and read any of my ebooks on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
But other ebook readers, cannot sideload apps, the boox being android and has playstore, makes it far better and versatile over any other ebook reader and the reason I will be going for the boox, and no need to muck around like you are, not everyone wants to do this.

You dont get it? The boox is more than just an ebook reader and that makes it far more useful
While I can appreciate one wanting basically a tablet so you can have apps, I want an ereader with just one reading app. YMMV.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Would I be correct in saying that there isn't a clear upgrade solution from the Oasis 3? I buy all my books on Kindle (or overdrive rentals). Ads are a minor nuisance, USB-C charging would be nice but not necessarily essential..
The only upgrade from the Oasis 3 is the PW5.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:57 AM   #81
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only upgrade from the Oasis 3 is the PW5.
That's not an upgrade from the Oasis, that's the upgrade from the Paperwhite 4.
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #82
radbaddude
Addict
radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radbaddude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Pretty much what I figured but wanted to check in with y'all here, much more up to date than myself with the market.
radbaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:23 AM   #83
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Pretty much what I figured but wanted to check in with y'all here, much more up to date than myself with the market.
I think eink technology is now mature enough that there may never be any huge leaps anymore - updates will be incremental, just like it is with computers, tablets and phones. Unless someone invents another technology entirely.
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #84
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Unless someone invents another technology entirely.
3D E paper!
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 PM   #85
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I think eink technology is now mature enough that there may never be any huge leaps anymore - updates will be incremental, just like it is with computers, tablets and phones. Unless someone invents another technology entirely.
Color screens may well improve.

BW screens are probably as good as it's going to get.

Speed and battery life could well improve. How much is the question. Probably incremental unless, as you write, some invents new technology. Are they using high end chips or is eink the factor limiting speed?
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:16 PM   #86
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
3D E paper!
A chip in your brain... no other physical device at all.