Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM   #196
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
I purchased the book on Amazon, and then downloaded it to my Mac from my content library in the Amazon website. I did link my Kindle in the process.
And which Kindle? A Fire?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #197
Gatesway
Gatesway began at the beginning.

Device: Mac/iOs
Yes. The device is a Kindle Fire.

I'm guessing that is the issue?
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #198
Gatesway
Gatesway began at the beginning.

Device: Mac/iOs
However, I do have a Kobo Libra color eReader that I just got....and was contemplating returning.

Would this help?
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #199
Mike.Connors
Mike.Connors began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
If you have a renderer-test file in the Kindle for PC application folder then it is left over from when a previous version of the program was installed and it is unused now. Changing or deleting it will have no effect on anything.
Thank you.
Mike.Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #200
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
@Gatesway
The "download & transfer" method only works for books for E-ink Kindles and that book isn't available for E-ink Kindles even if you have one. Try a copy from Kindle for Mac. See method 2 in the first post for details.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #201
Mike.Connors
Mike.Connors began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Amazon's version numbering scheme for this app is complicated and inconsistent.

The full version number of a Kindle for PC software release has four components (major, minor, very minor, and build) expressed as "a.b.c (d)". For example "2.4.0 (70904)" or "2.4.1 (70946)". The build number is required to uniquely identify an app version because Amazon releases multiple beta versions with the same "a.b.c" numbers.

Complicating things, the file name used for downloading and installing the program only has three of those components: KindleForPC-installer-a.b.d.exe. For example "KindleForPC-installer-2.4.70904.exe".

You should download version "2.4.0 (70904)" which has the file name "KindleForPC-installer-2.4.70904.exe".
Ooof. Most everyting you took time to explain to me is clearly written at the beginning of Method 2 at the start of the thread. I don't know how I missed it. Appreciate the duplicate effort and apologize for generating it at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-02 125042.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	210570  
Mike.Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM   #202
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
Yes. The device is a Kindle Fire.

I'm guessing that is the issue?
What version of the Kindle for Mac app are you using? You may want to check the first message in this thread and check through Method 2: Kindle for PC/Mac. Unless you have the classic Kindle for Mac 1.40(?), you will not be able to import the files. OTOH, the new K4Mac versions should only be downloading KFX.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #203
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It sounds like you are unsure about that. How did you obtain this file?
The eBook is available for the following devices. An eInk Kindle is not one of them.

Kindle Fire Tablets
Fire HD 8 (8th Generation)
Fire 7 (9th Generation)
Fire HD 10 (9th Generation)
Fire HD 8 (10th Generation)
Fire HD 10 (11th Generation)
Fire HD 10 Plus
Fire 7 (12th Generation)
Fire HD 8 (12th Generation)
Fire HD 8 Plus

Free Kindle Reading Apps
Kindle for Web
Kindle for Android
Kindle for Android Tablets
Kindle for iPhone
Kindle for iPad
Kindle for PC
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM   #204
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What version of the Kindle for Mac app are you using? You may want to check the first message in this thread and check through Method 2: Kindle for PC/Mac. Unless you have the classic Kindle for Mac 1.40(?), you will not be able to import the files. OTOH, the new K4Mac versions should only be downloading KFX.
@Gatesway: You need Kindle for Mac 1.40.x. If you don't already have it installed, you will need to Google for third-party download sites. It downloads KFX, so you will also need the KFX Input plugin.

If you have the current K4Mac 7.x you can leave it on your Mac. 1.40.x and 7.x operate independently, so you can have both on the same machine.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM   #205
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Connors View Post
Apologies in advance for what are probably more basic questions I should already know the answers to. It has been awhile since I've used Calibre and I'm just learning of the recent changes by Amazon requiring changes in the way Calibre is used.

In the past, I have been using an older version of KFPC because it worked for me. One of those steps required me to rename the renderer-test.exe file in the application to renderer-text.xxx. I cannot recall specifically why I did this even after reading my own detailed notes. Anyway, I was successful with many books using the old KFPC and the old methods with an older version of Calibre.

Now, I have a new book, a new version of KFPC (2.2.0) and the current version of Calibre. Out of habit, I guess, I renamed the renderer file as I had been doing and then delivered my new book to KFPC. I have 3 questions...

1. Did the renderer file still need to be renamed?
2. If no, is the fact that I did rename it before delivering my new book going to prevent me from successfully using Calibre to do what it does?
3. If no, is it really as simple as what it says in Method 2 at the top of this thread in that all I have to do is import the .azw file into Calibre to let it do what it does?

Yes, I have the 10.0.9 D***M and 2.15.0 KFK Input plugins already loaded in Calibre.

Thank you.
I believe renaming of renderer.exe was to prevent download of KFX. I don't know if that's still possible with 2.2 as I've never used it.

I didn't start using K4PC for decoding until 2.4.0, and I did not do any renaming, and it works fine. I want KFX in most cases as I'm dealing with print replica or fixed layout content.

My usual workflow is to download AZW3 from Content page, but that does not work for print replica, and I've found converting AZW3 to ePub for fixed layout books is tricky: calibre doesn't support it and KindleUnpack can have issues too. But converting from KFX always seems to work well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote