Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #3076
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Lawrence Durrell was a great writer. Gerald Durrell was an an entertaining writer. Care to guess whose books I have re-read?
I have seen the TV show The Durrells based on Gerald Durrell's books. I found it quite fun to watch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #3077
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Lawrence Durrell was a great writer. Gerald Durrell was an an entertaining writer. Care to guess whose books I have re-read?
Lawrence Durrell was entertaining as well - have you not read https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antrobus-Co...dp/B008022XEG/ / https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/antrobus-complete ?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:55 AM   #3078
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the link. I started reading bitter lemons, but found it a bit dry. Antorbus looks as if it might be fun.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:28 AM   #3079
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I think Lawrence was overrated and I don't think he's aged well; I can't imagine slogging through that overwritten tripe again. Gerald is fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have seen the TV show The Durrells based on Gerald Durrell's books. I found it quite fun to watch.
The Durrells is very different from the books and the books took liberties with the truth themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
Thanks for the link. I started reading bitter lemons, but found it a bit dry. Antorbus looks as if it might be fun.
I love the Antrobus stories.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #3080
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think Lawrence was overrated and I don't think he's aged well; I can't imagine slogging through that overwritten tripe again.
I'll confess to attempting The Alexandria Quartet on several occasions and bottling out. The only reason I try to read it is because my great aunt lived in Alexandria at the time the series is set and she was part of the literary set there. It does come across like Simon Raven who has also aged badly although I have a liking for The Roses of Picardie and it's sequel, September Castle. The 1950s louche settings are distinctly past their best-before date; I suspect we'll see the same with modern millenial fiction, especially metro-sexual rom-coms in the next decade or so.

Bitter Lemons is more reportage than fiction so, yes, somewhat dry.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote