Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2024, 12:54 PM   #31
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Libra Colour & Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
There are a lot of people who love their KLCs. See the https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo for example. Kobo, which has lots of info on sales, has made the business decision to sell a KLC and not a Libra BW. I'd imagine it's based on comparing their projection of BW sales to the cost of producing another model. They clearly think lots of people are happy with the colour model.

I expected negative comments because the KLC has been polarizing on this forum. However, I appreciate you sharing that link. I truly do enjoy my KLC and don’t regret the purchase.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 12:56 PM   #32
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Well this thread went sideways quickly.

I would be interested to hear from actual owners.

That’s just crazy talk!
Old 10-08-2024, 01:12 PM   #33
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The colour itself is more of a gimmick. Except for the covers or very occasional illustrations, it will have very little value to reading text. But its a gimmick that I like. I really love how the colours turned out. (Yes, muted compared to lcd/olec screesn, but very reminiscent of colour print on newsprint type paper.)
I completely agree regarding resolution, though we obviously disagree on your last point. We all experience this tech differently bc our needs are different. I’m able to enjoy and read the manga at full screen display, but the Kobo processors still aren’t beefy enough to make zooming and panning a pleasurable experience. That’s the same on all the Kobo devices I’ve had.

However, I want to highlight this second point that you made. Perhaps the color is a gimmick, as you state, but it’s a gimmick that I, too, like. I stated in my OP that I have an iPhone and an iPad. Their color fidelity, resolution, and processing power outclasses Kobo ereaders, but I still like this ereader. I don’t mind the newsprint quality of the color, and I never use my ereaders without the light on, so I don’t encounter that particular limitation of the color eInk screen.

The KLC is simply a good ereader for my needs, but I think the detracting comments are still valid. Anybody encountering this thread will hopefully find out quickly whether the KLC or KCC is right for them.
Old 10-08-2024, 01:26 PM   #34
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Well.... for those of us reading lots of non-fiction being able to highlight in different colors can be very useful.

I'm pondering getting a color reader just for this reason.

I absolutely LOVE being able to select highlight coloring. I also enjoy writing notes in the margins (which you can also change the color). Others will point out that the handwritten notes will not be backed up to Kobo servers in side loaded books, and they cannot be exported, but this is mostly true for all annotations in side loaded books (there are some workarounds out there, but they don’t work for handwriting as far as I know). Kobo needs to support saving that data for all books as it does for the Tolino.
Old 10-08-2024, 07:51 PM   #35
1ily
1ily doesn't litter1ily doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I like mine, but there could be improvements. It'd be really fun if we could customize the highlight colors on a per-book basis or have pre-set palettes we can choose from

I sideload a lot of my books and unfortunately my database keeps getting corrupted, so I don't trust it enough to use the handwritten annotations. At least I can back up my typed annotations though!
1ily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #36
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Overall I think the Libra Colour is a great device for people who read mostly at home. I skip the case so I can enjoy the book covers in color when I’m not reading; it does somewhat feel a bit like having a physical book laying on the table or the couch. Those who like to read on the go (e.g. in the train) might however find the screen very dark and the contrast too low under natural light; I personally never use it outdoors.
Agreed on most points.

If people have no need for color or annotations with their reading experience, then the Colour Kobo models aren’t going to appeal to them. However, I do find the comments in contrast interesting.

It’s true that the contrast on these models is much dimmer than older models, such as my Kobo Mini. Here are some comparison shots. My iPhone improved the contrast, so I adjusted the images to reflect what I saw with my naked eye. These are the covers of four different books displayed in sleep mode:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7984.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	211298

Name:	IMG_7985.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	211299

Name:	IMG_7986.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	211300

Name:	IMG_7987.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	211301

I haven’t tried reading with my KLC out in the sun yet. I’m too used to bringing my Mini along with me when I go out. I’ll have to try it.

However, none of these pictures trouble me because I always have the light on to some degree.

Name:	IMG_7988.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	211297

Last edited by Cootey; Yesterday at 08:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #37
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I would join the list of those who are happy with their Kobo Libra Colour.

I don't have any issues with the text sharpness and I do enjoy seeing the covers, maps and other illustrations in colour.

Reading outdoors does require me to push the frontlight to a higher level than I would prefer. I haven't noticed any uneveness in the frontlight but that does seem to be something that varies between devices.

My older granddaughter loves it for reading her stories but then books for her age group are pretty much cartoonish illustrations and not much text.

I use the stock readers for the most part though I have KOReader installed. For most of my books, I edit for consistency and use ePub for most books and kepub where there are images that might benefit from zooming. For me, there are differences between the RMSDK, WebKit renderer and KOReader but using the stock readers allows me to use search a lot more effectively. Though KOReader has improved in that aspect, you still need to use calibre to get the searchable metadata database.

Good points. I don’t have any issues with text sharpness either, and the front light coverage is even for me as well. We’ve learned over time that not every Kobo comes out of the factory with good coverage, however. The only way to fix it is to return it under warranty for a different unit.
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #38
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I love my Kobo Libra Color.

I have strongly noticed the poorer contrast on B&W documents, and increasing the brightness only helps to a point, but even at worst, the contrast isn't bad enough to make reading uncomfortable.

I've found in direct sunlight, as with the B&W devices, I can turn off the backlight completely and it's fine and looks good. But in partial sunlight, it feels like I can't quite get it bright enough, but it's still readable. Inside, I might have the brightness a little higher than with a B&W device, but it looks nearly as good.

In the handful of documents I have with color, the ability to see that color is a game changer. A few documents have annoying colored backgrounds that make them impossible to read on a B&W device, but are now readable on the color device. Graphs and charts with color are much more readable than they were on a B&W device.

The color itself I find better than I expected. Some pictures look perfect. Others look faded but still are distinguishable. Some pictures look good until the backlight is turned off at which point they turn muddy. I may have to go through my screensavers and lighten a few of them.

Even with the contrast reduction and lower crispness to the resolution, I don't find this much of a problem. I find the color a huge addition sometimes and other times just a bit more fun even when there's no real added benefit.

Overall, I would still select a kobo based on screen size first and then storage size, but I find the color a nice addition, and if I had to choose between two otherwise identical devices, I'd pick the color one.

Really good feedback. Thanks.

It seems that most people who encounter problems with the contrast aren’t used to running their frontlight high. I will admit that the battery life on my KLC it’s not as strong as other devices I have because of this.

My Kindle PW 4 needs to be charged every four weeks even if I don’t use it, but then the new Kindles are always on. You can’t shut them off. My Kindle PW 3 lasts around 5-6 weeks. The KLC needs to be charged about every two weeks with my current, constant usage. In contrast, my older Kobo mini, the oldest ereader I currently own, will last for 4-5 weeks in between charges.

However, since I’m used to my iPad and iPhone requiring daily charging due to heavy usage, I don’t mind recharging my KLC every two weeks.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #39
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

So far I love my Colour Kobo. What about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ily View Post
I like mine, but there could be improvements. It'd be really fun if we could customize the highlight colors on a per-book basis or have pre-set palettes we can choose from

I sideload a lot of my books and unfortunately my database keeps getting corrupted, so I don't trust it enough to use the handwritten annotations. At least I can back up my typed annotations though!

Those are great suggestions! I’d love to be able to custom select my highlight colors.

You might want to start a thread about your corruption issues. There are a lot of users here who’ve also dealt with that and might have some suggestions.

There were quite a few comments I didn’t reply to directly. I want all of you to know how pleased I am with the civility in this discussion even when mentioning differences. I’ve been sick since I originally posted and had no idea was to expect when I got back.

It is perfectly fine to not like the Kobo Colour ereaders. I’m just happy that so many others love theirs as much as I do mine.
Old Today, 09:41 AM   #40
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocketbook, kobo aura h2o, kobo forma, kobo libra color
[QUOTE=1ily;4458155
I sideload a lot of my books and unfortunately my database keeps getting corrupted, so I don't trust it enough to use the handwritten annotations.[/QUOTE]

The notebooks can be automatically or manually backed up to the cloud.
I tried backing them up manually, but restoring them made a mess, probably because it conflicted iwth the cloud version.

Pen annontations to PDF files can be backed up just by copying the PDF file.
I haven't tried epubs.

As to the database corruption itself, turning off wifi and then rebooting before connecting to USB seems to completely prevent it. Some people say that returning to the home screen before plugging in USB helps, but I've had mixed results with that. Luckily the new color libra reboots very quickly.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 PM   #41
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Dirk-71 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
IMHO these color readers are a bad development. At least when there is not an adequate SW-predecessor. I read novels, no comics as most people do. I stick to my Libra 2 and will not buy a color reader the next coming years.
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote