Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2024, 07:05 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I knew some of the people who worked at WordStar in its heyday, and met more of them when working at Symantec and Autodesk, where some of them wound up.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-07-2024 at 07:14 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #17
imax
imax began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & PocketBook 360°
I wonder if anyone started reverse engineering WordStar binaries, in order to port it to modern OSs and make running it less of a hassle.
imax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:16 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's DOS. DOSbox and similar let it run on almost all OS and CPUs.

It's zero hassle to run DOS text mode programs like this.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:28 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by imax View Post
I wonder if anyone started reverse engineering WordStar binaries, in order to port it to modern OSs and make running it less of a hassle.
I don't think I ever tried to run WS 5.5 after I installed Win 3.11.
What made many of the programs of that era incompatible, was the tricks (direct BIOS calls) to get SPEED. IIRC Wordstar Printing did this.

FWIW Paradox DOS 4.5 still sorta' runs (printing is difficult) on W10.
W98 was the last Windows my home-grown Green Duck (where 'theducks' came from) point of sale application ran in its full capacity. I shelled out to send my purchase orders by FAX (DOSFAX Pro)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #20
imax
imax began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & PocketBook 360°
Yeah, I've used DOSBox quite a bit. I wouldn't say it's "zero hassle" though. Even with a provided config, long filenames are still a problem, as are window size changes, amount of available memory, etc.

And with a proper source-level port all the tweaks performed via WSCHANGE.EXE by patching the binary could be made into actual configuration knobs.

Anyway, I was asking if anyone's aware of any work in that direction, not trying to get into discussion if it should be done or not.
imax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:31 PM   #21
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
There's WordTsar. No idea if it's any good.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:46 PM   #22
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I read this the other day. It has been a while since I fired it up, but I still have an Epson PX-8 (or Geneva) with Portable WordStar on a ROM. As the years passed I used an RS-232 serial cable to connect it to a UNIX computer (true System V) and could carry the Epson around to write, convert the files to text, and then upload them to the UNIX box for further use. Good times.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote