Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 10:38 AM   #3001
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah. I saw lots of people using ereaders in the early years, before smartphones with large screens became ubiquitous. Now I never see them anymore. But I don't think it has anything to do with ereaders acquiring frontlight and a touchscreen. It has far more to do with the evolution of smartphones and tablets. And of course many younger people suffer from screen fatigue these days, having grown up and spending most of their time among aforementioned devices; they don't want to read a book on another screen, eink or not. That's a generational thing, I think - most diehard eink users are middle-aged and older, and have not spent their whole life staring at screens. Of course those younger people may change their mind about paper books, once they get older and their eyesight deteriorates - reading paper books will be more difficult then.
I'm in my 50s, have spent my life since age 12 staring at screens, and I by far prefer reading on my Kindle versus a paper book. They're so heavy and cumbersome, and awkward to hold in bed.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:46 AM   #3002
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I'm in my 50s, have spent my life since age 12 staring at screens, and I by far prefer reading on my Kindle versus a paper book. They're so heavy and cumbersome, and awkward to hold in bed.

Andrew
You had smartphones and tablets in your childhood?

Using a computer at work or in school was different - as a rule, people didn't stare at screens for most of their free time, like many do now. And there was no internet, Youtube or social media.

Children today stare at screens everywhere - in public transport, in stores, on the street, basically anywhere. That was certainly not the case 30-40 years ago
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #3003
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I was staring at Teletypes. I find eink much better.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #3004
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I'm also in my 50s and I saw my first computer when I was 25. Before that, no screens whatsoever, unless one counts the TV.

But then Eastern Europe was pretty much a technological backwater in those days, far behind the West.
Old Today, 01:08 PM   #3005
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Using a computer at work or in school was different - as a rule, people didn't stare at screens for most of their free time, like many do now. And there was no internet, Youtube or social media.

Children today stare at screens everywhere - in public transport, in stores, on the street, basically anywhere. That was certainly not the case 30-40 years ago
For what it may be worth, I spent much of my time 40 years ago staring at computer screens (1984) both at work and at home. They were a great improvement over a TTY model 33 and it's replacement the TTY model 43.

Admittedly, I was a proud owner/assembler of computers back in the 1970s. Fond memories of the SD Systems VDB 8024 video card with a custom character generator ROM emulating the Heath character set allowing my oldest to run various games.

As for internet, Youtube or social media? I remember using Compuserve and GEnie along with people's personal BBS systems in the early 80s. Then there was the birth of FidoNET in 1984. My BBS ran on various hardware incarnations for ~22 years from 1980 to 2002. Sadly no YouTube equivalent.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13 PM   #3006
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it may be worth, I spent much of my time 40 years ago staring at computer screens (1984) both at work and at home. They were a great improvement over a TTY model 33 and it's replacement the TTY model 43.

Admittedly, I was a proud owner/assembler of computers back in the 1970s. Fond memories of the SD Systems VDB 8024 video card with a custom character generator ROM emulating the Heath character set allowing my oldest to run various games.

As for internet, Youtube or social media? I remember using Compuserve and GEnie along with people's personal BBS systems in the early 80s. Then there was the birth of FidoNET in 1984. My BBS ran on various hardware incarnations for ~22 years from 1980 to 2002. Sadly no YouTube equivalent.
Yeah, but you're the exception rather than the rule.

Edit: I've noticed before that there is quite a large proportion of folks with IT background among longtime MR members. We need to remember that MR members don't really reflect the real life user base, as this site tends to attract lots of technophiles.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 01:18 PM.
Old Today, 01:17 PM   #3007
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yeah, but you're the exception rather than the rule.
I've always been exceptional! <turning sideways to try to fit ego through door...>
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #3008
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've always been exceptional! <turning sideways to try to fit ego through door...>
A hopeless task, I'd guess.

(My ego doesn't really fit in one room with any other people, so I feel your pain...)
Old Today, 02:53 PM   #3009
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

Not quite the 70s but I had a ZX81 in 1981 followed by a Spectrum, Atari ST then PCs ever since. And I had a modem for the Spectrum so I've been on BBS's and their ilk for 40 years. So yes, I have spent quite a lot of time with my nose pressed to a screen over the years.

I guess we are unusual.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote