Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-30-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
.mobi site not working?

The mobileread.mobi address, which provided a mobile-friendly interface to the forum, stopped working for me yesterday--it now redirects and loads the full desktop site.

Is anyone else seeing the same (i.e, is the problem my side or server side)?

Any other suggestions for a similar option to view the forum on a mobile?
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
The mobileread.mobi address, which provided a mobile-friendly interface to the forum, stopped working for me yesterday--it now redirects and loads the full desktop site.

Is anyone else seeing the same (i.e, is the problem my side or server side)?

Any other suggestions for a similar option to view the forum on a mobile?
It's not you. The mobile site is redirecting to the desktop site.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 08:42 PM   #3
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
I'm not sure what forum software is used here yet by now surely there should be some version with a responsive theme that can automatically used when browsing on mobile, tablets, or eReaders. As a site specifically oriented towards those that use eReaders and various reading devices, perhaps I find it odd the forums themselves haven't been adapted to such when so many others have.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 08:40 AM   #4
thangcuoi
thangcuoi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I can't believe almost a year later and this site still does not have a mobile friendly interface. Does the site owner not care about accessibility or do they have stats that show majority of the site visitors are using a desktop computer?
thangcuoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 11:13 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thangcuoi View Post
I can't believe almost a year later and this site still does not have a mobile friendly interface. Does the site owner not care about accessibility or do they have stats that show majority of the site visitors are using a desktop computer?
Creating a mobile interface would probably require a complete redesign, because the current interface is pretty old. Maybe the owner has no resources for that. That's pure speculation on my part - I'm just an user here and have no ties whatsoever to the owner.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 02:35 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thangcuoi View Post
I can't believe almost a year later and this site still does not have a mobile friendly interface.
Check back in another couple of years. This site might not even have ANY interface by then.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 08:18 PM   #7
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage,PW1,KOA, Kobo: Clara Colour, Nook GLP, Pocketbook verse
I think this is a very old off-the-shelf package: the site dates back to 2003 or so and I don't recall any major changes in the way it looks. I doubt the original programmer of that software still updates it.

That said, you might want to try viewing the RSS feed on you mobile--the RSS link icon is in the top line of every page. (I've never tried it.)

Also Tapatalk used to include mobileread, but I don't know whether it still does.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 09:51 PM   #8
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Considering we still have some users who post with Tapatalk ads in their messages, my guess would be yes.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 11:26 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nod. I still use Tapatalk: it's not perfect but then what is;

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 01:14 AM   #10
thangcuoi
thangcuoi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I used to access MobileRead, XDA and other forums via Tapatalk. One by one, they dropped Tapatalk support so I uninstalled the app and just have a bookmark for Mobile Read's mobi site the few times I check in each year.

I have just reinstalled Tapatalk and the experience is lightyear ahead when compared to the clunky forum interface.

I love forums. Used to be very active in many of them so I understand how valuable they are to the community. Mobile Read is supposed to be the largest forum about ereaders. There are more than enough talented members here with the knowledge and experience to help migrate this forum to a more current platform.

With a name like Mobile Read, this website should be mobile first.

Sent from my SM-F731B using Tapatalk
thangcuoi is offline   Reply With Quote