Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-25-2024, 02:42 AM   #31951
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: TBD
I went for Raffles by E W Hornung. A good read, and leaving itself open for sequels, which I may get to eventually.

Then there was From a Far and Lovely Country by Alexander McCall Smith. The latest in his No.1 Ladies' Detective series. I would rather like to have more detection and more antagonists than Violet Sephotho.

Then I read Godmersham Park by Gill Hornby. A fictionalised life of a governess of some of Jane Auten's neices. I was a little annoyed to find at the end that the letters from Jane Austen were all invented except for one. And that despite the foreword saying that all events were factual, the origin of the governess and her early life was also invented. I recommend reading the afterword as well as the foreword before the main body of the book.

Next was The Tainted Cup by Robert Jackson Bennett. A most enjoyable fantasy detective story, in a fantasy setting.

Then there was Rounding the Mark by Andrea Camilleri, in which Inspector Montalbano starts to find he's getting older.

And now I'm reading Gaudy Night by Dorothy L Sayers. I'm slightly surprised to find I've never read this before. It's nice to have some time with Harriet Vane.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2024, 08:00 AM   #31952
Renate
Onyx-maniac
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5, Go6
Quote:
I went for Raffles by E W Hornung. A good read, and leaving itself open for sequels, which I may get to eventually.
I've read all the Raffles, a pretty good yarn. Hornung was Arthur Conan Doyle's brother-in-law.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2024, 12:13 PM   #31953
foosion
Evangelist
foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Quote:
Then there was From a Far and Lovely Country by Alexander McCall Smith. The latest in his No.1 Ladies' Detective series. I would rather like to have more detection and more antagonists than Violet Sephotho.
Actually, https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...-mccall-smith/

My wife is a big fan.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2024, 05:59 AM   #31954
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Quite right. I should have said the 24th....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2024, 11:12 PM   #31955
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I've read all the Raffles, a pretty good yarn. Hornung was Arthur Conan Doyle's brother-in-law.
Now you've piqued my interest, reads interesting in Wikipedia.

Fun fact, Hornung is an old name for February in German
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote