Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Today, 12:10 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LienRag View Post
Question : how do you do that ?
I have a huge book collection taken from the Internet, with a lot of PDF in it.
So around 65 Gib.
Which means that I don't want to host it on my main computer's hard disk, just on an external disk.
But when I try to make the Calibre library on an external disk, I can't open Calibre after that without the external disk plugged in - which is clearly not what I want.

Is there a tutorial somewhere which explains how to have a main Calibre library on an external disk while still having some books on the computer itself ?

Thanks in advance !
If you have a smaller library on your computer, you just have to switch to that before you eject and remove the external drive. Then Calibre can open to that smaller library when the external drive is not connected.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:12 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The calibre library can only be in one place...
What? You can have several separate physical libraries, if you want. But yes, you need to create those separate libraries first.
Old Today, 12:35 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
What? You can have several separate physical libraries, if you want. But yes, you need to create those separate libraries first.
I believe this is a Language subtlety.
Library is talking about the Active One.

BTW The Content server can access any known (to the GUI) Library, but like Calibre, it can then (for the session) operate on the one selected.

Other than directly attached drives, Shared or cloud delays or naming can create havoc.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I believe this is a Language subtlety.
Library is talking about the Active One.
Yes, but the OP's problem is easily solved by having more than one library - one local and one on an external drive.
Old Today, 12:49 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
That's true, but not one library split.
I've been using Calibre since 1.48 and the only value I've seen in separate physical libraries is testing and that was marginal. Really I do testing on a separate install on a separate computer.

And if you were last using the external one it's best to connect the drive before starting Calibre again.

It's a very limited use case.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's true, but not one library split.
I've been using Calibre since 1.48 and the only value I've seen in separate physical libraries is testing and that was marginal. Really I do testing on a separate install on a separate computer.

And if you were last using the external one it's best to connect the drive before starting Calibre again.

It's a very limited use case.
I only have one library as well. But in the case where you don't have enough space on your local drive, but still want to open Calibre occasionally without the bother of connecting an external drive, having more than one physical library makes sense.
Old Today, 01:11 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
You could always just create a calibre on an interval drive are always start calibre with the option --with-library and the path to your always available library

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:05 PM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
There's the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH environment variable but I'm not entirely sure how it works.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:29 PM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I only have one library as well. But in the case where you don't have enough space on your local drive, but still want to open Calibre occasionally without the bother of connecting an external drive, having more than one physical library makes sense.
Anyone without enough space for a calibre library either has more books than than they can ever read, or only giant comics or a basic Chrome book, or a 25 year old laptop that can't take a larger disk or something? Actual reflowable ebooks take a lot less space than one CD album as MP3s.

Even my 2002 laptop is 120 G byte. Still worked last I checked, but backlight getting uneven and only 32 biat XP. But I see some Chrome books have only 128 G SSD.
My 2016 laptop is 512 G, upgraded to 1T (copied existing partition to drive in USB case, expanded & swapped.
My 2020 laptop is 256 G SSD plus 2T HDD and cost less.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:24 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Anyone without enough space for a calibre library either has more books than than they can ever read, or only giant comics or a basic Chrome book, or a 25 year old laptop that can't take a larger disk or something? Actual reflowable ebooks take a lot less space than one CD album as MP3s.
Many people have more books than they can ever read, myself included. Comics are also not so unusual to have, and neither are PDF files. And people may want to keep other large files on their computers besides ebooks - music, photos, videos and so on.
Old Today, 05:34 PM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I vague remember reading an account by one user using Calibre to store arbitrary files that were neither eBooks or documents (not sure why). So someone could be using it to store disk images or something.

Also, PDF files can get pretty bulky. I have several that are 200-300 mb.

Last edited by ownedbycats; Today at 05:57 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote