Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-19-2024, 08:12 PM   #16
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Pixel-Tablet PB-Inkpad-Eo PB-743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rémi Ozene View Post
@ab78727
5) I listened the following video on YouTube ("Ghostscript - Convert PDF to black and white using https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtEvCWJX5qw&t=56s
) which proposes the following script to transform a color PDF file into black and white using Ghostscript:
gs \
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
-sColorConversionStrategy=Gray \
-dProcessColorModel=/DeviceGray \
-dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 \
-dNOPAUSE \
-dBATCH \
-dPDFSETTINGS=/default \
-sOutputFile=output.pdf \
input.pdf

Since you seem to know how to use Ghostscript, could you or another kind soul explain to me, from A to Z, how to use it with Google Colab ( https://colab.research.google.com/ ), in order to create a notebook there, (without having to install Python on my computer), the goal being to obtain, as a result, a lightening of PDF files with dark backgrounds from Archive.org. ? What exact set of commands do I need to write in order for this script to run, for example, if my file is called dickens.pdf?
I tried the following on colab.research.google.com and it seemed to retrieve the file and run gs on it (I just gave it some basic arguments and not the ones that you had specified):

Code:
!apt-get install ghostscript
import requests

urlpfx = "https://archive.org/download/"
name = input("Enter a name: ")
outname = input("Enter output file name: ")
url = f"{urlpfx}/{name}"
print(f"retrieving {url}")
response = requests.get(url)
print(response)

if response.status_code == 200:
  with open(f"{outname}.pdf", "wb") as f:
    f.write(response.content)
  !gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o {outname}_new.pdf {outname}.pdf
  print(f"File '{outname}_new.pdf' created successfully.")
else:
  print(f"Failed to download the file. Status code: {response.status_code}")
if you'd prefer, I can share the colab notebook link directly with you. The method of use is to pass in the last part of the archive.org url (e.g. for "https://archive.org/download/{title}/{pdfname}.pdf", enter "{title}/{pdfname}") as "name" and then the desired output file name as the second prompt. The script downloads the file from archive.org and if successful, run gs on it with the specified arguments. The resulting output file is created as "{outputname}_new.pdf" in the "content" directory. I hope this helps.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2024, 03:22 AM   #17
el.Barto
el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 and Inkpad Eo
The Android-System-Settings can be accessed easier:

Go to "Settings" and select "Application management".

Go to "All apps".

There you'll find a "Seetings"-App with a coloured Logo.

When opened select "Open" in the upper left.

Voila! These are the Android-System-Settings.
el.Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2024, 10:18 PM   #18
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el.Barto View Post
The Android-System-Settings can be accessed easier:

Go to "Settings" and select "Application management".

Go to "All apps".

There you'll find a "Seetings"-App with a coloured Logo.

When opened select "Open" in the upper left.

Voila! These are the Android-System-Settings.
Thank you - I confirmed that that worked very well. I'm happy that I no longer have to 'keep alive' the real Settings app by checking the task manager and switching to it periodically.
Old 07-22-2024, 12:41 PM   #19
ab78727
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rémi Ozene View Post
@ab78727
1) The Pocketbook Cloud, on the Pocketbook Eo, can be found by going to «Reader», then top left, clicking on the arrow, back, where you'll find the library, including «My books», then go to Cloud. To put books in the Cloud, simply select a book and send it to the Cloud, which is marked by a logo representing a cloud
3) After the 2 firmware updates in mid-June, there's another one today, 19/07.

4) To set a password for the lock screen, go to Android settings, as explained above, then to «*secure*», and after on «*screen lock*»
Thank you. I can confirm that the PB cloud login now works as expected and that I also got the firmware update.

FWIW, I was able to rsync my existing ebooks to the device via Termux - this is what I like about Android i.e. the ability to use tools that I am used to without many constraints.
Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM   #20
thomaswilliamdav
thomaswilliamdav began at the beginning.

Device: None
Just received my Pocketbook EO yesterday after supper. I had ordered it Tuesday morning whole in dialysis (I usually take a 12,9 iPad Pro in, but wanted an ereader device). I prdered from Amazon.ca and it took 82 hours to arrive from the moment I clicked ‘pay’.

I”ll have a lot more to say about it when I’m more familiar with the device, but a few cursory comments.

-Quite a struggle for an hour or so because I’ve primarily used Macs for 40 years, other than forced Windows use when at work, but after rereading the PDF manual I’d already downloaded on an iPad Pro it started to make sense.

-Downloading nd installing KorReader was a snap; searching with the built in browserfor github and then downloading and click installing the apk file. So now I have pocketbook reader, Xreader and KorReader to choose and learn from without having yet to buy another app.

-Getting books onto it has proved somewhat of a struggle; though I’m sure that will become easier. I have nothing but….Macs (but I do have Parallels installed and Wimdows 11 arm64 under that). Thought I would be able to install good ole trusty Calibre and just use that - but no, some kimd of funky error. I’ll post that tomorrow when it’s not 4:30 am. I’m sure someone will know what I’m not doing.

-Also could not figure out how to be able to email books to the reader, deriving a pbsync email address (getting the email address was a no go so far), but I did manage to use 2 methods to transfer books to the device.

1) Installing Google Drive on my Mac and the ereader and going from Mac > Google Drove > ereader

2) Using wifi transfer and sending readables to http://196.something:58888 from a Mac > ereader

These alone would make me happy since I’ve got some large colour comics (The Walking Dead) which would probably make my email server choke.

Also can’t get the ereader to show up as a removavble drive on my Mac(s) desktops. Connects via USB-C and charges, but I don’t know which Android file transfer spp I need to i stall or where to download from. Also a small and not unsolvable problem.

It arrived 88% charged, so I was able to start using/learning right away. Getting google play store to work was easy-peasy and I’m pleased with how smooth the page turn refreshes are; much nicer than the Kobo Elipsa I currently have.

Will experiment with it more tomorrow during dialysis and as long as the Canadian footnall game tomorrow night isn’t too interesting, I’ll start obsessively posting.

Thanks to all who have posted before, and specifically in this thread.

Tom
thomaswilliamdav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM   #21
el.Barto
el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.el.Barto could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 and Inkpad Eo
I don't think the EO has a pbsync email-adress.

For syncing files from iPad to Windows, Linux or Android I use LANDdrop. They also provide a version for macOS. Works fine for me!
el.Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #22
thomaswilliamdav
thomaswilliamdav began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by el.Barto View Post
I don't think the EO has a pbsync email-adress.

For syncing files from iPad to Windows, Linux or Android I use LANDdrop. They also provide a version for macOS. Works fine for me!
Thank you muchly. While in dialysis today, I took an iPad Pro and the Eo and was looking at common problems where the EO would not show up.

I found an application from github called OpenMTP; but will certainly give LANDdrop a try as well. I had to run the application in legacy mode , but all of a sudden the books (and comics too) just started showing up.

Really like Calibre, but what works, works. I knew that audiobooks worked (I test played the Sherlock Holmes novel), but was very happy to find that Apple Music worked.

Thanks for LANDdrop.

Tom
thomaswilliamdav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:22 AM   #23
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
If problems with Apple devices and USB mass storage mode appear it is allways useful to try to put an USB hub between the devices. Sometimes that solves the problem.
For the wireless options there is an Android app called TotalCommander which supports plugins. We have several plugins for it that support Online storage and other useful things. Have a look here:
https://www.ghisler.com/androidplugins/googleplay/
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote