Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old Today, 06:02 AM   #1
foreverconfused
foreverconfused began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Color 633
Pocketbook color 633, need simple advice

Hello. I am looking forward to getting my first e-reader. PB Color 633 is available in my country and affordable. I have very straightforward expectations of this e-reader.
I am mostly going to use it for reading textbooks in pdf format. I want my experience to look like as if I am reading from an an actual A4 paper. Since the device is not as wide as an A4 paper, I would turn it sideways (in landscape mode) and read it in 2 columns by zooming it in and panning around.
So, these are my main concerns:
1) I am getting mixed feedback about whether it is going to be acceptable for my expectations. I have heard that sometimes it takes minutes (or just very long) to turn a page/zoom/pan around. Is this true? I am fine with a reasonable delay of course.
2) It officially says that it supports SD cards up to 32 GB but I have heard people say that they can use 128 or even 512 GB SD cards, is this true? This is not an issue for me since I will have my laptop around and if I need to switch to another book, I can just take it from there.
3) I am also getting mixed stuff regarding its screen resolution. Wikipedia says it is 212 ppi. I have also read it is 100 ppi for color screens. I am only interested in color, to be honest.
4) Also, how do I protect its screen from scratches? Does it have a protective layer or should I buy it (I do hope it is offered)? I am sure that whatever material is it made of, is going to get scratched even with perfect care.
Please let me know if you have information about this.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by foreverconfused; Today at 06:05 AM.
foreverconfused is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:16 AM   #2
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
ad 1. PocketBook InkPad Color 3 would be nice for A4 documents. It's quite hard to reproduce (readable) such big page size even in landscape mode on rather small screen. But yes. it's possible. Especially if it's text in two colums. Not as fast as on modern tablets but it's acceptable while reading page by page;

ad 2. According to user's manual, you can use up to 128 GB microSD card;

ad 3. Screen resolution is 300 ppi for bw and 100 pi for colors;

ad 4. You have to use a case. Any other protection like foil will downgrade brightness and contrast which already are quite low. I suggest case with stand function and silicone back, like in this article: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/3...aliexpress-com

You can find some more info in this review: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/3...tnik-w-europie
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:38 AM   #3
foreverconfused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
ad 1. PocketBook InkPad Color 3 would be nice for A4 documents. It's quite hard to reproduce (readable) such big page size even in landscape mode on rather small screen. But yes. it's possible. Especially if it's text in two colums. Not as fast as on modern tablets but it's acceptable while reading page by page;

ad 2. According to user's manual, you can use up to 128 GB microSD card;

ad 3. Screen resolution is 300 ppi for bw and 100 pi for colors;

ad 4. You have to use a case. Any other protection like foil will downgrade brightness and contrast which already are quite low. I suggest case with stand function and silicone back, like in this article: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/3...aliexpress-com

You can find some more info in this review: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/3...tnik-w-europie

Thank you for your reply.
1) A4 paper is 21 cm wide and PB 633 is 15 cm wide. So, it should fit more than half of its width on landscape mode. The main thing is that I don't have to wait a minute or a long time to pan around, turn a page or zoom in/out, right? I am fine with a little bit of delay of course.
2) That's good to know. 128 GB is more than enough for me.

3) So, in color mode, it would be somewhat worse than large full HD laptop (DPI around 120), I guess this is alright.
4) Does the case protect its screen or just the body of the device? I am specifically looking to protect its screen as I am sure that there will be mysterious scratches on it out of nowhere. I was thinking that I could just tape over it with a translucent tape?
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The diagonal of the screen is 15 cm. The width is about 12.2 cm in landscape mode. The colour screen technology is also from two generations ago, and newer colour screens are much better (633 has speckles on the screen in grayscale mode). I think it would have to be a very good price to be worth it these days.

That said, I bought one four years ago and still use it for reading novels and manga. I don't use it for reading A4/letter sized documents very much. I have occasionally used it for that, but the text ends up being pretty small.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:16 PM   #5
foreverconfused

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The diagonal of the screen is 15 cm. The width is about 12.2 cm in landscape mode. The colour screen technology is also from two generations ago, and newer colour screens are much better (633 has speckles on the screen in grayscale mode). I think it would have to be a very good price to be worth it these days.

That said, I bought one four years ago and still use it for reading novels and manga. I don't use it for reading A4/letter sized documents very much. I have occasionally used it for that, but the text ends up being pretty small.
I know that if I view the whole A4 page, it is going to be small of course. But half of its width should fit, since you said its screen width is 12 cm.
I am also aware that there are newer generations color E-ink screens but I am not an artist or anything. It shows me 4096 colors and form youtube videos, they seem alright. Do newer screens just show better variety? It is not something I am really concerned about. As long as it is readable when zoomed in in a way I described, I wouldn't have issues with that. I might eventually buy a newer generation as well. For now I'd like a starter that would just provide a satisfactory reading experience. Now, I am concerned about how to protect its screen...