Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 01:50 PM   #16
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Nook Glowlight 4, Apple iPad Pro 12.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
To me that does not really make sense. In the case of both the eInk and RLCD panels, the light comes from the front and reflects off the display to your eye. The reflective layer simply increases the amount of usable light much like the tapetum lucidum layer in a cat's eye.
So, I guess my real question is, does RLCD offer the same level of eye strain relief that eInk does?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:55 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
So, I guess my real question is, does RLCD offer the same level of eye strain relief that eInk does?
I'd guess that depends on the person. There are lots of folks who have no eyestrain reading on a LCD/OLED panel. There are folks who get eyestrain from eink (not contrasty enough for them), but not from LCD/OLED. There are folks who get eyestrain from frontlit eink, to say nothing of ordinary screens. And so on.

In short, it varies from person to person.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:57 PM   #18
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

I never thought I got eye strain from reading on my iPad. Then I took the same PDF I was reading and put it on my Kindle Scribe, and I was able to read it longer with greater comfort.

The difference actually surprised me.
Old Today, 05:08 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Often it's the shiny surface is the main issue, Apple are bad for that, and secondarily having the screen too bright. It should never exceed ambient on newsprint. Laser / inkjet / copier paper is very bright.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:11 PM   #20
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Often it's the shiny surface is the main issue, Apple are bad for that, and secondarily having the screen too bright. It should never exceed ambient on newsprint. Laser / inkjet / copier paper is very bright.
I put a matte screen protector on my iPad. I really like. I'll try turning down the brightness and see if that helps. I just wish it had better battery life.