Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM   #1
marshie250
Enthusiast
marshie250 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Using a plugboard to update series and series index?

Hello! I have a plugboard question that I feel should be obvious but I cannot figure it out.

In Calibre, I have a custom column set up (text for keeping series-like information, named 'gseries') that I use to group books by genre, and then the series_index is my personal ranking of the books within that genre. I have a Kobo, and I would like to use this custom column as the series info when I send to my device, since I don't have that many actual series in my library and I would like to be able to sort books within their genre by the ranking I gave them. Is it replace the normal series metadata with this custom column using the plugboard?

I've seen a lot about adding series info to the title of the book, but I would rather not alter the display of the title.
marshie250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshie250 View Post
Hello! I have a plugboard question that I feel should be obvious but I cannot figure it out.

In Calibre, I have a custom column set up (text for keeping series-like information, named 'gseries') that I use to group books by genre, and then the series_index is my personal ranking of the books within that genre. I have a Kobo, and I would like to use this custom column as the series info when I send to my device, since I don't have that many actual series in my library and I would like to be able to sort books within their genre by the ranking I gave them. Is it replace the normal series metadata with this custom column using the plugboard?

I've seen a lot about adding series info to the title of the book, but I would rather not alter the display of the title.
Currently a plugboard can set the series name but not the series_index.

Setting the series_index seems like a reasonable thing to do. I will look at making the needed calibre changes tomorrow.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #3
marshie250
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Currently a plugboard can set the series name but not the series_index.

Setting the series_index seems like a reasonable thing to do. I will look at making the needed calibre changes tomorrow.

Wow, thank you!
Old Today, 05:31 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice
Moved to its own thread to make the info easier for others to find.
Old Today, 05:35 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The change is now in calibre source, and will be included in the next release.

To use it, set up a plugboard with entries for both "series" and "series_index". The attachment is an example. You must ensure that the column lookup name matches what is in your library, as well as setting the format and device appropriately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	210270  
Old Today, 12:16 PM   #6
marshie250
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The change is now in calibre source, and will be included in the next release.

To use it, set up a plugboard with entries for both "series" and "series_index". The attachment is an example. You must ensure that the column lookup name matches what is in your library, as well as setting the format and device appropriately.
Thank you so much!