Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-23-2024, 01:11 PM   #9691
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I would suspect you're being served some cloudflare page. I think Flaresolverr hasn't worked for me for a good while.
Same also happens for me, with ficbook.net, I reinstalled flaresolver and run it with LOG_LEVEL=debug / LOG_HTML=true and it shows ficbook's page for this fic (sometimes with adult warning if fic is adult)
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 02:51 PM   #9692
jessbbaby34
jessbbaby34 began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
Trying to figure out how to do something for when I try to "download from URL" a story that already exists.

For the most part I find it good that if there's nothing to update nothing is updated. I don't want to suddenly have them redownload if I select a story I didn't realize was already in the library. I tend to import many stories I found in recent browsing, and I'd like to be able to group all of what I imputed as a "new find" even if I may have found it before but let it get ignored into the general library.

I would like some indication with the #fffupdate field. That there was an attempt to update it even if nothing was updated. Do I maybe need a custom field or is there a way to do this?

The reason being, if I am trying to import a story I already have, I'd like it to be grouped with the stories I just imported in some way. If I missed it was already in my library I don't want to then continue to have it not stand out with what was newly imported. Is there a way to do this without it just redoing every other field?
jessbbaby34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 02:57 PM   #9693
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Configuration > Custom Columns lets you set a 'last checked' datetime column. You should set this as separate from your update column. I think this will not update if you cancel the library update dialog.

You can also use Configuration > Basic > Mark added/updated books when finished for both success and fail (note that 'no updates' counts as a failure). This will persist until manually unmarked or Calibre being restart.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-23-2024 at 03:01 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 03:57 PM   #9694
jessbbaby34
jessbbaby34 began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
Thanks. Last checked sounds exactly like what I am wanting out of it. Just a way to remember what I re-found.

My only concern is would any of that mess with tags, publisher, etc or would the updates be isolated to just last checked if I told it to update on failure?
jessbbaby34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:26 PM   #9695
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessbbaby34 View Post
My only concern is would any of that mess with tags, publisher, etc or would the updates be isolated to just last checked if I told it to update on failure?
Only Last Checked and Error Column, if configured, will be updated on a failure.

Or, at least, that's what happens when I try it.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:35 PM   #9696
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Only Last Checked and Error Column, if configured, will be updated on a failure.

Or, at least, that's what happens when I try it.
Yes, this - I've lost count of how many times I've accidentally run 'update if new' instead of always and wondered why my metadata didn't update, lol.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 10:01 PM   #9697
fishing_forever
fishing_forever began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello! I've recently started using FanFicFare and Calibre to send AO3 ePubs to my Kobo Libra 2. However, on the title page, the words get cut off on the right. I've tried editing the CSS by adding this to the personal.ini:

Code:
add_to_output_css:
 body.fff_titlepage {font-size: 2vmax;
                     margin: 5vw;}
The above does change the font-size and the margin on the top and left, but it doesn't change the margin on the right. I've also tried margin-right: 5vw and 5vmax but that didn't seem to do anything. It looks like it thinks the viewport is a bit bigger than it actually is because it does cut off at a certain point.

For example, instead of:
Quote:
Warnings: No Archive
Warnings Apply
It becomes
Quote:
Warnings: No Archive Warnin
Apply
I tried this:
Code:
add_to_output_css:
 body.fff_titlepage { width: 80%%;
                      margin: auto;
                      padding: 0;}
which makes it so that the words don't get cut off, but it goes the full length of the viewport with no margins on either side, even if I change the width. Adjusting the margin to be 5vw or 5vmax only changes the left and top margin, like in the first snippet.

This problem isn't present within the actual story, just the title page. Any help is appreciated!
fishing_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 11:28 PM   #9698
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing_forever View Post
Hello! I've recently started using FanFicFare and Calibre to send AO3 ePubs to my Kobo Libra 2. However, on the title page, the words get cut off on the right. I've tried editing the CSS by...
By default, FanFicFare's downloaded epubs don't have any special CSS for title page. The same 2% margin used for title page and chapters pages. I don't know of any reason why title page margin would be different--unless you change it, of course.

I had to look up what vw and vmax units even mean. It doesn't look like they are new, but what I'm finding suggests they aren't common. I'd use %, which needs to be escaped as %% in personal.ini.

Depending on your settings, your epub may have a cover image made from rendering the title page, any chance that's what you may be seeing?

I would troubleshoot this by editing the epub using Calibre's Edit book feature to isolate whether it's something weird with the Kobo reader or with FFF's output.

IE, if a page renders correctly everywhere except on your Kobo, is the Kobo the problem?

I don't know anything about Kobo ebook readers, but I know there's a bunch of plugins and additional discussion about them there.
Old 06-25-2024, 02:23 AM   #9699
fishing_forever

Quote:
Depending on your settings, your epub may have a cover image made from rendering the title page, any chance that's what you may be seeing?
I'm not too sure how to check if it's a cover image. In the Edit Book feature, the title page is an .xhtml file.

Also, in the Edit Book feature, the margins are changing accordingly, but that doesn't show up if I use the Calibre ebook reader. In the Calibre ebook reader, the margins don't change at all, but none of the words get cut off there.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=3788
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=3789
I was mainly following these posts, but since this is from an older Calibre version, it might not be working anymore.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:13 AM   #9700
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Hmmm. I forgot I ever posted that.

Once upon a time, automatically generating a cover in Calibre from an FFF epub with title page gave a vaguely readable image of the title page as cover image. Then Calibre changed to render the title page as if it were on a larger display and "title page as cover image" wasn't legible anymore. Those settings were my attempt to make the title page readable again. I eventually quit trying.

Seeing the margins change in Edit is good. Not seeing it in Calibre View(reader), suggests either you didn't save it and re-open View, or the cover image thing, or some CSS weirdness. Edit and View don't render exactly the same.

When editing a book, you'll see a OEBPS/cover.xhtml file or some other variant of 'cover.xhtml' if there's a cover image. In View(reader), it's apparent as the title page is still after the cover.

The fact words aren't being cut off suggests that issue is either Kobo, or the overall width somehow being set wider than the Kobo screen.

Can you post an example of your epub (SFW and ideally a small one) either here or somewhere else and link to it?
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #9701
fishing_forever

In the book I was looking at, there wasn't a cover image. In Edit Book, it only has the title_page.xhtml, file0001.xhtml. There's a cover.jpg too.

The picture of the epub from my Kobo is here: https://i.imgur.com/ZSSJR7a.png, which is from when I made the font-size: 2vmax. There's a margin on the left, but none on the right.

A workaround I found when testing is actually to add a cover image, which fixes this entirely! It makes the title page have the same margins as the story. The code I posted earlier doesn't seem to affect the cover image or the title page at all.

Tags
fanfiction