Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 05:00 AM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry Jon, but that advice was not all that useful before and even less useful now. My experience was similar to @iacallaci's. Using SSH or telnet still showed the database write-ahead logging and share memory files present until after a reboot.
How is it I never had an issue with the database becoming corrupted? I went to the home screen and then connected to USB. Not once did I have a database corruption problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:05 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@geek1011 Could you please figure out how to make Don't uppercase header/footer text and change page number text work in 4/38.23038? Thanks.
Old Today, 05:38 AM   #93
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I just noticed another thing... the libra color is now kobo13 instead of kobo11...
Device wise this makes indeed more sense.
OTOH, my Libra 2 (kobo9) also still does not got updated OTA.
Do I sense some "Libra" manipulations here by Kobo?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:37 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Device wise this makes indeed more sense.
OTOH, my Libra 2 (kobo9) also still does not got updated OTA.
Do I sense some "Libra" manipulations here by Kobo?
If you update the firmware manually, you can do it on your time and not have to wait for it.
Old Today, 08:47 AM   #95
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you update the firmware manually, you can do it on your time and not have to wait for it.
Nice that you are concerned about me wasting my time, but I've the time on my side
But, as always, there is a reason for my madness:
  • Via OTA I can see whether Kobo is really endorsing the update for a particular device;
  • Via OTA I get the release notes on the device, which is important for my users;
Likewise, I never install a Windows / calibre / etc. update immediately when it becomes available, but wait until I deem it fit for purpose.
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Nice that you are concerned about me wasting my time, but I've the time on my side
But, as always, there is a reason for my madness:
  • Via OTA I can see whether Kobo is really endorsing the update for a particular device;
  • Via OTA I get the release notes on the device, which is important for my users;
Likewise, I never install a Windows / calibre / etc. update immediately when it becomes available, but wait until I deem it fit for purpose.
Via not OTA.
  • Fixed: The eReader may crash while scrolling or swiping in the 'Discover' tab
  • Fixed: The eReader database may be left in an incorrect state after connecting and disconnecting the eReader from a computer

Kobo is not endorsing or endorsing a given firmware. That's ridiculous.
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #97
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Via not OTA.
  • Fixed: The eReader may crash while scrolling or swiping in the 'Discover' tab
  • Fixed: The eReader database may be left in an incorrect state after connecting and disconnecting the eReader from a computer
Yes, I know and you know. But not everybody who is using an Kobo ereader knows how to find this information or is capable or has the means to use the internet.

Quote:
Kobo is not endorsing or endorsing a given firmware. That's ridiculous.
Using OTA is using Kobo's infrastructure, hence Kobo controls/allows you to download their particular software or prohibits it. That you (and I) know a short-cut is irrelevant for casual users.
Old Today, 09:55 AM   #98
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I upgraded a Mini to 4.38.23038 and didn't see any issues in very limited testing (4 repetitions of send book, send metadata, open book, read 10-15 pages, skip to end).

Thanks for the update. After making a backup, I went ahead and installed 4.38.23038 manually on my Mini without any issues. I did notice that the menu items feel a tad laggy now, but otherwise, I’m happy to have a fixed firmware on it.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release