Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 01:47 PM   #1
mmobes
Enthusiast
mmobes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kobo, KOReader, and Calibre

So I've been using my Libra 2 for a few months, and absolutely love it. I'm a long term user of Calibre, but recent to the Kobo world. I've gone with KOReader just because I really love being able to set specific information to show up at the top and bottom of the screen while I'm reading.

That said, I keep seeing people talk about the plugins they use to make Kobo and Calibre work better together. This is one of those things where I don't know what I don't know, so I don't even really know what's possible beyond what I'm already using. I basically import a book into calibre, check the metadata, and then send it to KOReader. I'd like to see what more I can be doing.

So I'm asking you to share your workflow and tips for how you use plugins to make Calibre and Kobo more functional for you. I'd just really love to see what everyone is using and how it improves their experience.

Thanks!
mmobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Just remember that the discussions you see on calibre and Kobo are for using the NATIVE reading software; not koreader

I believe there is a koreader calibre plugin but I'm not sure of what it provides.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:26 PM   #3
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
I do the same but I don't connect the device to USB. I save Calibre books to a folder in desktop. The I run a script in KOReader that syncs the folder with RSync mirroring one way from the desktop folder to my device.

I have other scripts in KOReader to sync the KOReader sidecars files from/to the desktop to different folders.

And then I have a few Python scripts I run with Sway Wofi. I have one to retrieve the annotations from the sidecars files and update a column in Calibre, other to generate stats from the KOReader statistics db and another one to put all my Calibre columns in KOReader collections. Even though everything is manual I prefer it like this so I know everything is synced.

And most important I have the Kobo set up to not touch any file. So no stock software for me. Never used it. I don't need either the Calibre metadata generated file because I make my own in the collections.lua file with my custom columns (tbr, read...). And I also parse the tags column in Calibre to create different collections with lists of books by genre. List of profiles and collections in KOReader were a big improvement. Kudos to @hius07

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jospalau; Today at 02:36 PM.
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:51 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't use KOReader. Have tried it, but it has a couple of flaws that made me dislike using it. So I use the stock reader, heavily patched. I sideload everything from Calibre.

The only Kobo plugins I use are Kobo Utilities (mostly for saving my reading progress, just in case) and the extended driver (for sending kepubs to my Sage). Metadata and collections sync automatically every time I connect my Kobo to Calibre. As I usually send a lot of books in one go, I don't connect very often, and as I'm used to finding my place manually when switching between my Kobos, I don't need to sync anything via wifi (which is almost always off). I don't highlight or annotate, so no need to sync that either. I'm perfectly content to use mu Kobos offline.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:04 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
The koReader plugin is found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=362706

Quote:
KOReader calibre plugin
A calibre plugin to synchronize metadata from KOReader to calibre.

KOReader creates sidecar files that hold read progress and annotations. This plugin reads the data from those sidecar files and updates calibre's metadata based on them. It is inspired by the Kobo Utilities plugin, that synchronizes reading progress between the original Kobo firmware ("Nickel") and custom columns in calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:21 PM   #6
1ily
1ily doesn't litter1ily doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I dont use KOReader, but if you like the default OS then here's a few:

Kobo Touch Extended enables access to Kobo kePub features. It'll automatically convert your epubs when you send it to your kobo (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kepub).

Kobo Utilities, Adds extra function for working with Kobo eReaders. It saves a backup of your databases, and you can use it to check if the database is corrupted

Kobo Configuration options - You can configure any setting you want. If the header doesn't appear in your "Kobo eReader.config" file, then type it out yourself

The Annotations Calibre Plugin is helpful to back up your annotations without paying for a service (they all became paid services..)

KePub Metadata Reader: A plugin for reading metadata from .kepub files when you add them to your library.

KePub Metadata Writer - A plugin for updating metadata in .kepub files when you send them to your Kobo
1ily is online now   Reply With Quote