Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Today, 01:01 PM   #1
ohmygodlinda
ohmygodlinda began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Page
Best e-reader for a non tech-savvy parent?

I have a sort of weird puzzle I've been trying to solve for my bookworm mom for a while now, and hoping the e-reader aficionados of this forum can help.

My mother is a huge reader--but, not within any of the English language ebook ecosystems: rather of Chinese web novels, which she accesses via online archives, and sometimes (although rarely) will download as ebooks. She's on her iPad, conservatively, 25 hours a day, and it's causing her significant eyestrain. She's open to swapping to an e-reader.

I'm wondering what my best option is for her that gives her the flexibility to navigate/read on the web, but won't be too confusing for her to operate otherwise. She's been strictly in the Apple ecosystem, but I'm happy to get her set up on an Android eink tablet to get her started if we can identify a good workflow for her to leverage on reading on a regular basis without my intervention, since I don't live anywhere near her.

I personally have a Boox Page and really enjoy it, but I like a certain amount of fiddly friction in my technology she has no patience for.

Any suggestions? Open to all price points and brands!
ohmygodlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:00 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
TCL Nxtpaper 11
Almost like eink / paper, but real colour and a better tablet than an iPad, at 1/4 price, if you don't mind Android.

A dedicated eink or ereader is too poor for Web content.

I've compared the same apps on it and a friend's iPad. I have an Android eink and many dedicated eink ereaders and they are only good for offline content, particularly novels.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:07 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Onyx Boox or another Android brand is pretty much your only option if she needs a decent web browsing experience. The Note Air 3 (or 3C if she needs colour) would probably be good choices.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote