Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 11:02 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
You don't have an English dictionary installed?

See attached images. Sorry for the screen glare and fisheye effect. I'm in the office with awful overhead lighting.

I rarely use the built in dictionary, so don't know how long this problem existed. I discovered it last night (what is 'horehound candy'?). I have let the Clara sync repeatedly and have restarted it a couple of times, but no joy. It looks like the dictionary is installed if that little check means anything. But still, I cannot look anything up. Wikipedia worked when I tested it.

I have a Clara BW running 4.39.23027. I did install a few patches (remove row 3 from home screen and larger covers, maybe a couple of others I forgot about) and have the better hyphenation dictionary installed. I also have geometricprecision set. I have never messed around with replacing the installed dictionaries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	948.3 KB
ID:	209837   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	642.8 KB
ID:	209838   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	861.2 KB
ID:	209839  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:50 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Horehound candy is made from a plant in the mint family. It's notable for having a soothing effect on the throat, much like a cough drop.

It sounds like you probably need to connect over USB and replace the dictionary files. Perhaps your SD card is failing and corrupted the English dictionary?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:54 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
See attached images. Sorry for the screen glare and fisheye effect. I'm in the office with awful overhead lighting.

I rarely use the built in dictionary, so don't know how long this problem existed. I discovered it last night (what is 'horehound candy'?). I have let the Clara sync repeatedly and have restarted it a couple of times, but no joy. It looks like the dictionary is installed if that little check means anything. But still, I cannot look anything up. Wikipedia worked when I tested it.

I have a Clara BW running 4.39.23027. I did install a few patches (remove row 3 from home screen and larger covers, maybe a couple of others I forgot about) and have the better hyphenation dictionary installed. I also have geometricprecision set. I have never messed around with replacing the installed dictionaries.
Ched the language identifier to see what language the eBook is set for. Also try another eBook to see if that works.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:52 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It sounds like you probably need to connect over USB and replace the dictionary files. Perhaps your SD card is failing and corrupted the English dictionary?
Oh, I hope not. I've only had the reader for a month or so.
Old Today, 05:53 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ched the language identifier to see what language the eBook is set for. Also try another eBook to see if that works.
It was a good guess, but I got the same response on three different books.
Old Today, 06:34 PM   #6
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
As per the second photo the dictionaries have not been downloaded. Sync should download the dictionaries that are ticked and not yet installed but it appears that this is not working in your case. You could try removing the ticks against all of the dictionaries, sync, re-tick the dictionaries that you want, then sync a second time, and see if that works.
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote