Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2024, 03:51 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The only person I knew who had a Boox commented that NeoReader had issues with CSS especially in ePub3 books. Font handling was also mediocre. When I got to play with it, trying to set left justification, which is my preferred reading style, was not easily done. Much like Moon+ where you have to dive down a rabbit hole of cascaded preferences to find most settings. Forget FLO ePub3, the results of that were much like viewing a FLO ePub3 in calibre's viewer.

Who knows though? Neo Reader may have added/improved support for those features since I looked at it last summer.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 04:19 PM   #47
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
with boox it's just a matter of downloading a reading app and away you go, much simpler than needing a pc and then transering it over. It's extra hassle
Taking the appropriate steps to ensure I actually own the books I purchase is not "extra hassle" for me. It is mandatory for the seller to receive my money.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 05:57 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The only person I knew who had a Boox commented that NeoReader had issues with CSS especially in ePub3 books. Font handling was also mediocre. When I got to play with it, trying to set left justification, which is my preferred reading style, was not easily done. Much like Moon+ where you have to dive down a rabbit hole of cascaded preferences to find most settings. Forget FLO ePub3, the results of that were much like viewing a FLO ePub3 in calibre's viewer.

Who knows though? Neo Reader may have added/improved support for those features since I looked at it last summer.
Given that NeoReader sounds like a typical Android reading app, I'd say it's probably still lousy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 06:43 PM   #49
Denodan1
Connoisseur
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
It's Boox propriety e reader and not the android version, as Boox has its own apps and op system and skins over android, much the same as Samsung does
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 09:03 PM   #50
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Yes you can and correct, but boy a bit of mucking around to do so, with boox it's just a matter of downloading a reading app and away you go, much simpler than needing a pc and then transering it over. It's extra hassle
And when that reading app disappears, you can enjoy the total absence of any reading hassle by not being able to read any books purchased which require that proprietary app.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 09:08 PM   #51
Denodan1
Connoisseur

Won't disappear as you can back up all your books on pc or Dropbox, etc and if worst came to worse load in neo reader. Your just looking for excuses not to like Boox.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:12 PM   #52
Denodan1
Connoisseur

It pays to backup your books even if you own a kindle, kobo, boox or anything as the tech gets outdated you will find your device no longer gets support, so the old kobo, etc won't work with new firmware. Welcome to the world of techology, and advancements happen quickly.

Products come and go quickly and there is no gaureentee In today's world of digital download they will always be there unless you can back it up.

Also when they head to subscription base as they will go full subscription then unless you keep paying won't even keep the books

Last edited by Denodan1; 08-27-2024 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:16 PM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Won't disappear as you can back up all your books on pc or Dropbox, etc and if worst came to worse load in neo reader. Your just looking for excuses not to like Boox.
If those books have DRM, you won't be able to read them on/in anything after the proprietary app has disappeared.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 09:18 PM   #54
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It pays to backup your books even if you own a kindle, kobo, boox or anything as the tech gets outdated you will find your device no longer gets support, so the old kobo, etc won't work with new firmware. Welcome to the world of techology, and advancements happen quickly.

Products come and go quickly and there is no gaureentee In today's world of digital download they will always be there unless you can back it up.

Also when they head to subscription base as they will go full subscription then unless you keep paying won't even keep the books
For any backup to work, the DRM must be removed. Otherwise your backup will be just so much junk.

Of course you might not have any books with DRM; some people don't buy them on principle.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 09:44 PM   #55
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I couldn't care less about Boox, but your position on this is illogical and inconsistent. You have just said you can back up your books to PC, after repeatedly claiming that using a PC to remove DRM and transfer to a reader was "too much hassle". If you love Boox, more power to you, I'm sure they're fine readers. But to say that using it is "less hassle" than transferring via PC then saying "backup to PC" is risible.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 10:02 PM   #56
Denodan1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I couldn't care less about Boox, but your position on this is illogical and inconsistent. You have just said you can back up your books to PC, after repeatedly claiming that using a PC to remove DRM and transfer to a reader was "too much hassle". If you love Boox, more power to you, I'm sure they're fine readers. But to say that using it is "less hassle" than transferring via PC then saying "backup to PC" is risible.

All I am saying is backup your books if need be, if your scared of losing them, else Boox is great, all the reading apps on one device so dont need to remove DRM on Boox, Can buy books anywhere and use any app, or even buy them trough your web browser.

I have books from kobo, google and Kindle, so for me than all the hassle, the boox is fine for me as all my book are on one reader, dont need 2 or 3 e book readers or remove DRM from kindle when I can just use the app