Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2024, 05:00 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw23 View Post
So based on this, do you think I would be 100% safe if I just downloaded the e-book from a file sharing website and then use the Amazon send to Kindle function to send the e-book to my Kindle?

I am a bit unsure I would be safe as I would be logged into my Amazon account so there would be some form of record, even though I'm not sharing the e-books with anyone just sending it directly to my Kendall
You are not allowed to ask for help on illegal eBooks such as those from a file sharing site.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 05:33 PM   #47
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
So based on this, do you think I would be 100% safe if I just downloaded the e-book from a file sharing website and then use the Amazon send to Kindle function to send the e-book to my Kindle?
It's a step to the dark side.It imperils your psyche.

It also cheats authors, the majority of whom don't make a living wage. Only about 0.1% of authors make big money.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 11:00 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

I am a bit unsure I would be safe as I would be logged into my Amazon account so there would be some form of record, even though I'm not sharing the e-books with anyone just sending it directly to my Kendall
For me, that would be ebook piracy. Most authors work at full/part time jobs and even then have trouble making enough money from writing to be able to continue writing never mind the small number of authors who actually make a living from writing without us encouraging piracy.

That many of the ebooks from file sharing sites also have errors that would prevent Amazon from processing them without you having to learn how to edit ebooks to correct those errors can also be a consideration.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #49
Pw23
Pw23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So I bought the Kindle scribe today and I've tried it for a few hours now but in comparison to my iPad A4 it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement, please see photo comparing The two
The Kindle scribe is 0% backlight and is about 15%
I want to limit as much brightness as possible to prevent ice strain

The problem with the Kindle is that it's holds a lot less on the screen which means I'm turning the page more often, which is an easy for me by Dexter problems

Also, with the Kindle when I go from zero points to 8 points in brightness theris zero difference so I question how accurate

I have two weeks to return the Kindle if it is unsuitable

Link to full-size image: https://freeimage.host/i/dlgXxAx

I thought the Kindle scribe would be easier on my eyes, with no backlight needed but this case with any reader these days

I remember having a Kindle keyboard in 2010 which didn't have a back light or need one in most situations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dlgXxAx.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	210113  

Last edited by pdurrant; Today at 09:16 AM.
Pw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Perhaps you could re-do the image with both devices in dark mode?

The Kindle Scribe like any eInk device does not and can not have a backlight since the display is opaque. What they do have is a frontlight with a diffusing layer over the eInk screen to—hopefully—spread the light evenly over the display. From some research papers, the reflected light from the eInk screen is less irritating that looking through the LCD screen at the frontlight. That seems to end up being a matter of personal taste so you will need to decide for yourself.

I've attached your image to this message but I reduced the file size to just below the 1.5MB maximum for a jpg file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dlgXxAxa.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	210088  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:43 AM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The only advantage of eink is when there is no front light. At the SAME screen light levels there is no advantage with Front LED light vs rear LED light.
A shiny screen has the worst effect as the eye unconsciously focuses on the further away reflection.
Well established research.
Quote:
From some research papers, the reflected light from the eInk screen is less irritating that looking through the LCD screen at the frontlight.
There is no repeatable validated reseach that says that for the SAME front LED light vs rear LED light level, especially if brighter than ambient.

The eink is less tiring to read but only if ambient light is good enough to have front light off, assuming the OLED / LED has a matt screen.

Most non-eink has two flaws:
1) Shiny screen surface (it's much cheaper).
2) Default is far too bright. Auto only works well outdoors. Need manual setting indoors.

Dark mode can make it worse as screen reflections are more obvious (cause headaches) and brightness is easily too high.

Dark mode also often has poorer font hinting. It came back into fashion to save power on OLED.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #52
Frogm4n
Groupie
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Also, with the Kindle when I go from zero points to 8 points in brightness theris zero difference so I question how accurate

I remember having a Kindle keyboard in 2010 which didn't have a back light or need one in most situations
The low light levels are for using it in a dim/dark room. Having granularity at low levels is useful to make the text clear without being too bright and allowing your eyes to relax and not squint. Higher levels are for evening out the display if the ambient light isn't quite sufficient or is uneven. If you can still read the screen without the frontlight on then the ambient light is just right. LCDs like iPads have to use bright light to overcome ambient light, it's competition. Eink gets better with ambient light, it's complementary. People have gotten used to cranking up the brightness on LCDs just to see that the idea of turning it down for eink seems unintuitive.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote