View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 08:33 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the most part, eReaders have become a mature technology. Until there is a change such as a Gallery 3/ACEP screen with speed and price close to that of a Carta screen (I do like dreaming wildly), most changes will be relatively minor.
Some of us have been dreaming of that since 1986. Mirasol seemed plausible at the time. I agree it needs C Y M system (like ACEP but 20x faster) rather than a filter on a mono eink panel which is never going to be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I agree with the others. There's really not much the PW5 can improve on.
Maybe give it a pen (Galaxy Note-style where you can insert it in the body) for some really basic note-taking features.
Most people getting eink get it to read novels and are uninterested in notes. Also unless eink gets a lot faster it's poor. I've tried reMarkable, Elipsa and Sage. The Sage was best. None of the other 5 people I know with note taking on eink use it now that novelty wore off. I've abandoned it on the Sage for the TCL Nxtpaper 11, which works far better for notes with touch keyboard, KT keys, USB keys, finger with Gboard and TCL T-Pen in regular text apps or browser or Nebo or OneNote. You can actually use a Kobo/MS pen on the Libra 2 and save sketch/notes, but not edit them. They are saved as SVG and can be viewed via MyBooks or exported to PC.

So I agree, there is little to improve on and most people would be happy with either a Paperwhite 3 level device (Kindle gen 7) (or similar Nook or Kobo) but choice of 5, 6, 7 or 8 inch screen, with also models with page turn buttons.

The changes since 2013 have been minor increments. Newer models will have USB-C and 32G Flash (minimum).

Last edited by Quoth; 03-29-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote