View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I nominate Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield

Blurb from Kobo:
Quote:
On a dark midwinter’s night in an ancient inn on the Thames, the regulars are entertaining themselves by telling stories when the door bursts open and in steps an injured stranger. In his arms is the drowned corpse of a child.

Hours later, the dead girl stirs, takes a breath and returns to life.

Is it a miracle?

Is it magic?

And who does the little girl belong to?

An exquisitely crafted multi-layered mystery brimming with folklore, suspense and romance, as well as with the urgent scientific curiosity of the Darwinian age, Once Upon a River is as richly atmospheric as Setterfield’s bestseller The Thirteenth Tale.
464 pages

Indicative pricing (from Kobo): USD $12.99, CAD $14.99, GBP £4.99, AUD $12.99.

Goodread's blurb is a bit long-winded, but here's the link.

Right there in the blurb it says "multi-layered" so I'm covered for the theme.

I had rather more difficulty working out what to nominate than I thought I would. I seriously considered The Great Wheel by Ian R. MacLeod, or maybe one of his books that I haven't read yet, like Red Snow, but the MacLeod I nominated for July didn't attract much interest. I'd have liked to nominate The Stonor Eagles by William Horwood but it doesn't seem to have made it into e-book form yet. Gingerbread by Robert Dinsdale was high on my list but apparently it's not available in the US. And so it went on. I finally opted for this Diane Setterfield because I really to want read it (already own it) and it sounds like the sort of thing I wanted for this theme.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote