View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 12:59 PM   #69
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Back when DVD was still a thing, nearly every commercial dvd started a fake FBI warning about jailing pirates, then continued with an unstoppable 2 minutes of anti copying oropaganda, lwith the catch phrase "you wouldn't steal a car would you", It showed a sad loner watching his download everyually fail, while honest people nearby were already enjoying their movie.

The commercial was so annoying it must have encouraged many people to buy drm stripping software which let them copy the dvd, minus the unskippable annoyances. I bought dvdfab, which served me well for many years.( Even though it was made in China and suffered having its website blacklisted ). I just now checked and dvdfab.cn is still alive and well.

Your long analogy lost me somewhere along the way,, I was waiting for the bit about how your record player could not play CDs even when you filipped them over to try playing the other side, but you never got there.

Amazon have completely killed off Amazon drive. All those promises about free lifetime cloud storage for your valuable family photos and home movies just evaporated. Does that count as obsoletiing a physical device?

dvd is now almost dead. Amazon still sell a few but blockbuster.videos is long gone. My obsoleted dvd player expired and got binned. Netflix rules.

As dvd was dying though, we went though many pointless rounds of Hollywood movies trying to made their commercial dvds uncopyable, and each new drm attempt was defeated.

If you are old enough, you may remember sony,'s attempt to stop music cdcopying my actually adding malware that silently damaged your pcs operating system ivy installing nasty malware., that also failed miserably.once exposed

More recently, as already mentioned, we had the denuvo drm damage, which allegedly killed SSD drives future lifespan with constant writes

Not sure what my point is, just enjoying rambling on...

Maybe its that hardening Drm is usually bad. And ultimately pointless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Wo...7t_Steal_a_Car
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_B...ootkit_scandal
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/is-de...th-it.1427579/

Last edited by stumped; 01-07-2023 at 01:06 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote