Thread: Clara HD Hiding Kobo "cloud" books
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
Marg1780
Marg1780 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Unhappy Hiding Kobo "cloud" books

I just purchased a Clara HD, my first eReader. I picked it because I want to manage my eBook library through Calibre. However, I immediately ran into a (major!) gotcha, and I can't find a way around it...

In order to configure the new device, I need to sign into my Kobo account. Otherwise, it never gets past the "Download Kobo Desktop" screen on the device.

So, I downloaded their app. I then stopped it from sync'ing all my (1100-plus) Kobo purchases to the device and told it to delete the ones it had already downloaded. Then I deleted the Kobo app, which I don't use, and loaded a few books from Calibre to play with. That part was easy.

Unfortunately, it retained my entire book list and if I try to do an author search, it shows me ALL of it. So if I load 50 books from calibre, say, then look at the authors listing, it shows me 1150 author records... Not very useful, since it makes working with the 50 real books impossible.

I tried the Kobo help line, and their only advice was to archive every one of my purchased books (and as far as I can figure it can only be done one at a time), and resync....

Please, please, tell me there's a way around this. Either a way to get it into working mode without signing into my Kobo account, or a way to completely hide the Cloud books from all sorts and searches and work only with what is actually aboard the device.
Marg1780 is offline   Reply With Quote